Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

any vehicle which can be flown (i.e. helicopter)
interviewee
bearer
matter
aircraft
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

TOEIC® listening part III, set 18, exercise 6

TOEIC Practice tests Increase your TOEIC test score with
684 Vocabulary + 100 Grammar tests
3420 flash cards plus an ESL book
ESL Forum | Preparation forum for the TOEIC® Test
TOEIC® listening part I, set 16, exercise 7 | the pushchair has six wheels
listening exercises
TOEIC listening part III, set 18, exercise 6 #1 (permalink) Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:38 pm   TOEIC listening part III, set 18, exercise 6

Hello.
I did an exercise of the site : TOEIC listening part III, set 18, exercise 6
http://www.english-test.net/toeic/listening/giving_directions_to_a_co-worker_who_is_on_her_way_to_a_factory.html

This is the transcription :
— Hi Victor, this is Molly. OK, I think I'm lost. I got off at Sandusky Street, but I don't see West Vine Avenue. I've gone five blocks; now I'm at Sandusky and Pine.
— Pine? Oh, you went west on Sandusky. You should have turned east when you got off. Turn around and head the other way on Sandusky. After it goes under the freeway, West Vine will be the second intersection.
— Thanks. Which way should I turn on West Vine?
— Turn right. The post office will be about a half-block down on the left-hand side, next to the furniture factory.

This is the question and answer I don't understand :
3). How is the woman probably traveling?
By bus
By subway
By foot
By car -- CORRECT

And this is my idea :
Molly got off something (car or bus) at Sandusky Street, and then it's natural to suppose she move by foot.

I'd like to know why the answer is "by car", please.
Tandenko
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

TOEIC listening part III, set 18, exercise 6 #2 (permalink) Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:23 am   TOEIC listening part III, set 18, exercise 6

Hi,

'got off' here is a US English phrase meaning turned off one particular road onto another (in a vehicle). She did not get off a bus or get out of a car.
Language Coach

TOEIC Test Preparation — Increase your Score with 684 free TOEIC Vocabulary TestsTOEIC Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEIC scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEIC Grammar Exercises — Improve your English grammar and vocabulary skillsEvaluate and certifiy your business communication skills with TOEIC — TOEIC Certification
TOEIC listening part III, set 18, exercise 6 #3 (permalink) Fri Feb 10, 2012 15:43 pm   TOEIC listening part III, set 18, exercise 6

Thank you Beeesneees for your explanation of "got off".
I didn't know the expression, and it brought me another question.

Can we guess from this conversation that she got off the freeway onto Sandusky Street?
Tandenko

TOEIC listening part III, set 18, exercise 6 #4 (permalink) Fri Feb 10, 2012 23:52 pm   TOEIC listening part III, set 18, exercise 6

yes.
She says that is where she got off some road and afterwards there is mention of the street going under the freeway when she heads in the opposite directon, so that's a fair conclusion.
Language Coach

TOEIC listening part III, set 18, exercise 6 #5 (permalink) Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:31 am   TOEIC listening part III, set 18, exercise 6

Thank you for your assistance Beeesneees.
It helps me a lot, and it's all clear now :)
Tandenko

TOEIC® listening part I, set 16, exercise 7 | the pushchair has six wheels
ESL Forum | Preparation forum for the TOEIC® Test All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on TOEIC Test Forums
How can I get 495 in reading?[Ask] Why this web don't provide Error RecognitionHow come I wasn't told about the plan?my toeic® b1 scores. need help by admin mod and all members plz.TOEIC® listening part II, set 20, exercise 4toeic® b1 help requiredspeaking practicespeakingspeaking and writingThere very much mistaked in simulator 3Information about TOEIC® ExamTOEIC® in 7 DaysTOEIC® listening part III, set 19, exercise 1