learning; instruction; imparting of knowledge; upbringing
education
aggregate
conduct
courier

Is it only past simple or posibly past perfect?

Meaning of "turn the volume up" | James isn't in at the moment vs James isn't up at the moment
Is it only past simple or posibly past perfect? #1 (permalink) Sun May 21, 2006 13:00 pm   Is it only past simple or posibly past perfect?

ESL/EFL Test #92 "Tenses (3)", question 9

It doesn't make sense. I can't understand why he ......... at you last night.

(a) had shouted
(b) is shouting
(c) has should
(d) shouted

ESL/EFL Test #92 "Tenses (3)", answer 9

It doesn't make sense. I can't understand why he shouted at you last night.

Correct answer: (d) shouted
_________________________

is it only past simple or posibly past perfect?

Elga
Elga

Is it only past simple or posibly past perfect? #2 (permalink) Sun May 21, 2006 14:41 pm   Is it only past simple or posibly past perfect?

No, the past perfect is not appropiate in this sentence.

Past perfect can be used when you are talking about two past events, and one happened before the other. --> e.g. "We had already eaten when he arrived."

You will also find past perfect in "Type 3 IF-sentences".

_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Is it only past simple or posibly past perfect? #3 (permalink) Mon May 22, 2006 6:41 am   Is it only past simple or posibly past perfect?

In addition to what Amy has said, the Present Perfect is never used with such adverbial modifiers of the past time as "yesterday","the other day","last week","last night"and so on.
Pamela

Location: RF

Meaning of 'he was a doormat'Meaning of 'freaky'Sentence: ... for having us you must come to us next timeWhy strode and not strayed?'by the shoulder' vs 'with/on the shoulder'Why not 'bear', 'stand' or 'bear''Tomorrow evening' vs 'In tomorrow evening'Preposition at the endMeaning of 'fetch'Meaning of beggedIdiom: "swimming with sharks"Meaning of 'a sewage pipe burst at Nassau Coliseum'Meaning of "carry on"