Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

habit; tradition; convention
vacancy
ordinary
illustration
custom
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

James isn't in at the moment vs James isn't up at the moment

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Is it only past simple or posibly past perfect? | 'Tomorrow evening' vs 'In tomorrow evening'
listening exercises
James isn't in at the moment vs James isn't up at the moment #1 (permalink) Sun May 21, 2006 21:18 pm   James isn't in at the moment vs James isn't up at the moment

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #102 "Phrasal verbs", question 1

I'm sorry, James isn't ......... at the moment. Can I take a message?

(a) in
(b) away
(c) up
(d) off

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #102 "Phrasal verbs", answer 1

I'm sorry, James isn't in at the moment. Can I take a message?

Correct answer: (a) in

Your answer was: incorrect
I'm sorry, James isn't up at the moment. Can I take a message?

Hi!
Why James isn't in at the moment and no James isn't up at the moment?

Valerias
Valerias

James isn't in at the moment vs James isn't up at the moment #2 (permalink) Mon May 22, 2006 6:29 am   James isn't in at the moment vs James isn't up at the moment

Because "in" here denotes that he is not in accomodation
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
James isn't in at the moment vs James isn't up at the moment #3 (permalink) Mon May 22, 2006 7:39 am   James isn't in at the moment vs James isn't up at the moment

Hi Valeria

I'm sorry, James isn't in at the moment.
This is a typical telephoning sentence that means "James isn't here". In other words, James isn't in the building (at home, in the office, etc), so it's not possible to talk to him.

I'm sorry, James isn't up at the moment.
Theortetically speaking, this sentence could also be correct, but the meaning would be very different!
It could mean that James is at home, but he's in bed (sleeping).

Amy

James isn't in at the moment vs James isn't up at the moment #4 (permalink) Mon May 22, 2006 8:39 am   James isn't in at the moment vs James isn't up at the moment

But in general there is also an expession "up to the moment "denoting" to the very moment of ... speaking and etc.
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Is it only past simple or posibly past perfect? | 'Tomorrow evening' vs 'In tomorrow evening'
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Meaning of "sob story"Meaning of 'he was a doormat'Meaning of 'freaky'Sentence: ... for having us you must come to us next timeWhy strode and not strayed?'by the shoulder' vs 'with/on the shoulder'Why not 'bear', 'stand' or 'bear'Meaning of "turn the volume up"Preposition at the endMeaning of 'fetch'Meaning of beggedIdiom: "swimming with sharks"Meaning of 'a sewage pipe burst at Nassau Coliseum'