obligated; engaged; industrious; ambitious; loyal
annoying
committed
harmful
occupied

'which of the names' vs. 'what of the names'

Watercolor pen? | Urgent need.It's about nouns
'which of the names' vs. 'what of the names' #1 (permalink) Sun May 21, 2006 22:41 pm   'which of the names' vs. 'what of the names'

ESL/EFL Test #100 "Interrogative pronouns", question 5

......... of the names did you choose for the puppy?

(a) What
(b) Which
(c) Who
(d) Whom

ESL/EFL Test #100 "Interrogative pronouns", answer 5

Which of the names did you choose for the puppy?

Correct answer: (b) Which

What of the names did you choose for the puppy?
_________________________

hi!

Why which of the names and no what of the names?

Kalida
Kalida

Which/what #2 (permalink) Sun May 21, 2006 22:51 pm   Which/what

If you want to use 'what' you have to say:

What name did you choose for the puppy?

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
'which of the names' vs. 'what of the names' #3 (permalink) Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:16 pm   'which of the names' vs. 'what of the names'

hi all,

Isn't which limited between two.

and what is the correct answer?

best regards.
Abuseifein

'which of the names' vs. 'what of the names' #4 (permalink) Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:30 pm   'which of the names' vs. 'what of the names'

The correct answer, as indicated in the original post and when you click to display the answers in the test, is 'which'.
This is the only possible answer to the question as written, because the question MUST relate to a limited choice of names as otherwise the definite article would not be used before 'names' (and no, it doesn't have to be limited between two. It can be limited between other numbers in a group too.)
In message #2 in this thread Conchita points out that in order to use 'what' you cannot indicate a limited choice to begin with. Compare the two:
Which of the names did you choose? <-- there were a limited number of names available. You had to choose from a predefined set.
What name did you choose? <-- there is no limit to the names. You could have chosen anything.
_________________

'which of the names' vs. 'what of the names' #5 (permalink) Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:25 am   'which of the names' vs. 'what of the names'

Thanks a lot Beeesneees.

Now I see.

Regards.
Abuseifein

Test incompl/inter-292, Question 9Do / Did you have to.................today?The use of groundsIs there such an expression?Tip into recessionHe's looking for two pucks, what's he looking for exactly?I can lend you some money until the end of the monthantiphonal singing or duet?How to email college admissions officea little vs. a bitIt's very hot: It's scorchingplaying with a full deck of cardsodvious vs obvious