Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

of nature
outdoor
opposite
potential
promotional
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

'empty space flat' vs. 'empty flat'

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
"to peter out" vs "to peter off" | Difference of usage between 'of' and 'for'
listening exercises
'empty space flat' vs. 'empty flat' #1 (permalink) Mon May 22, 2006 0:30 am   'empty space flat' vs. 'empty flat'

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #103 "Agatha Christie test questions", question 6

The police found her ......... flat but there was no sign of Agatha Christie.

(a) empty
(b) emptiness
(c) empty space

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #103 "Agatha Christie test questions", answer 6

The police found her empty flat but there was no sign of Agatha Christie.

Correct answer: (a) empty

Your answer was: incorrect
The police found her empty space flat but there was no sign of Agatha Christie.

Why is not correct empty space?

Alba
Alba

'empty space flat' vs. 'empty flat' #2 (permalink) Mon May 22, 2006 6:23 am   'empty space flat' vs. 'empty flat'

Why "space" if there is already a "flat"."Space" is redundant.
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
'empty space flat' vs. 'empty flat' #3 (permalink) Mon May 22, 2006 9:48 am   'empty space flat' vs. 'empty flat'

pamela wrote:
Why "space" if there is already a "flat". "Space" is redundant.

Unless Agatha Christie had a flat in space, that is :) . Maybe in a space station or even on the moon. At least people do such things as buy a piece of land on the moon :roll: !!
Conchita
Language Coach

'empty space flat' vs. 'empty flat' #4 (permalink) Thu Feb 26, 2009 17:45 pm   'empty space flat' vs. 'empty flat'

There is a mistake in the question. it was ''The police found her flat empty and there was no sign of Agatha Christie''.
Phuongtoai
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

'empty space flat' vs. 'empty flat' #5 (permalink) Thu Feb 26, 2009 18:06 pm   'empty space flat' vs. 'empty flat'

Hi,

That's just another way of saying the same thing.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

'empty space flat' vs. 'empty flat' #6 (permalink) Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:22 am   'empty space flat' vs. 'empty flat'

Alan, you're right, but not completely. We can say both "find her emply flat" (1) or "find her flat empty" (2). Normally for (1), the status of her flat (emply) is not a bid deal. Instead, we want to concentrate on the fact that we finally find her flat (so "empty" is just like a bonus, kind of extra information). However for (2), "empty" here is very important. With this sentence, we intentionally search / comb her flat and it is empty (the result that we find). Hope this can help.

DC
Duccuong

"to peter out" vs "to peter off" | Difference of usage between 'of' and 'for'
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Is "hits" a gay term for men?'raise fund for the poor' or 'raise funds'?Meaning of "Lost my lunch"Meaning of "look what the ... dragged in"Use the "emotion" instead of feelingPhrasal verb "come from"Old hardware vs an hardwareIdiom 'Fair weather friend'The order of adverbsMeaning of "pick on"What is the difference between delightful and delighted?meaning of 'fed up'meaning of collude