to set up for use; to put in (i.e. machinery); to establish in an office or position
loop
install
subside
press

'by the shoulder' vs 'with/on the shoulder'

'very much larger' vs. 'much larger' | Meaning of "carry on"
'by the shoulder' vs 'with/on the shoulder' #1 (permalink) Mon May 22, 2006 15:03 pm   'by the shoulder' vs 'with/on the shoulder'

English Grammar Error, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #16 "Sleep well (2)", question 4

Unfortunately she fell asleep on one of the beds and the manager shaking her violently through the shoulder, told her she was fired.

(a) fell asleep
(b) through
(c) was fired

ESL/EFL Test #16 "Sleep well (2)", answer 4

Unfortunately she fell asleep on one of the beds and the manager shaking her violently by the shoulder, told her she was fired.

Correct entry: by
The error was: (b) through

You have found the error but your entry is incorrect.
Unfortunately she fell asleep on one of the beds and the manager shaking her violently with the shoulder, told her she was fired.
_________________________

Dear Sir

why not "with" or "on" here?

thanks a lot in advance

Christina's son
Christina's son

By the shoulder #2 (permalink) Mon May 22, 2006 18:00 pm   By the shoulder

Hi Christina's son,
In this case, the only correct answer (if your choices are with, on or by) is 'by the shoulder' because shaking someone by a part of their body is the phrase that is commonly used because it makes sense. You can grab or hold onto someone by their hand or arm, for example. You could also say 'I grabbed the bag by its leather straps,' for example.
Shaking someone 'with the shoulder' doesn't make sense because who's shoulder is doing the skaking and can you really shake someone with your or their shoulder?
If you try to use 'skaking her on the shoulder,' that implies that you might be standing on the shoulder and shaking what or who?
I hope that helps.
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Why assasinated and not murdered?Meaning of shopliftersMeaning of "sob story"Meaning of 'he was a doormat'Why is "do it all" here?Meaning of 'freaky'Sentence: ... for having us you must come to us next timeWhy strode and not strayed?Why not 'bear', 'stand' or 'bear''Tomorrow evening' vs 'In tomorrow evening'James isn't in at the moment vs James isn't up at the momentIs it only past simple or posibly past perfect?Meaning of "turn the volume up"