relating to supervision and responsibility
digital
rival
lucrative
managerial

Why strode and not strayed?

Why not 'bear', 'stand' or 'bear' | Meaning of 'freaky'
Why strode and not strayed? #1 (permalink) Mon May 22, 2006 23:31 pm   Why strode and not strayed?

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #103 "Synonyms for walk", question 5

As it had no choice trying to escape from the vulture, the doe ......... quickly over the streamlet.

(a) strode
(b) paced
(c) strayed
(d) meandered

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #103 "Synonyms for walk", answer 5

As it had no choice trying to escape from the vulture, the doe strode quickly over the streamlet.

Correct answer: (a) strode

As it had no choice trying to escape from the vulture, the doe strayed quickly over the streamlet.
_________________________

Why strode and not strayed?

Lola
Lola

Why strode and not strayed? #2 (permalink) Tue May 23, 2006 6:30 am   Why strode and not strayed?

"Stray" is not a quick or hasty or purposeful form of movement.

_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of gaddingIs it right to use MISTAKE instead of FAULT?Preposition "IN": In the seventeenth century...Why assasinated and not murdered?Meaning of shopliftersMeaning of "sob story"Meaning of 'he was a doormat'Why is "do it all" here?Sentence: ... for having us you must come to us next time'by the shoulder' vs 'with/on the shoulder''Tomorrow evening' vs 'In tomorrow evening'James isn't in at the moment vs James isn't up at the momentIs it only past simple or posibly past perfect?