forward; in advance
especially
ahead
apparently
rather

You have been the biggest disappointment this year.

I want to show my appreciation, | Don is the funniest guy I know!
You have been the biggest disappointment this year. #1 (permalink) Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:05 am   You have been the biggest disappointment this year.

ESL/EFL Test #178 "Comparatives and Superlatives (2)", question 6

You have been the ......... disappointment this year. Your work performance has been very poor.

(a) bigger
(b) biggest
(c) big

ESL/EFL Test #178 "Comparatives and Superlatives (2)", answer 6

You have been the biggest disappointment this year. Your work performance has been very poor.

Correct answer: (b) biggest

You have been the big disappointment this year. Your work performance has been very poor.
_________________________

If this sentence good in the Oxford dictionary:
The new restaurant was a big disappointment.
Why isn't good: You have been the big disappointment this year. I understand that superlative also good, but why the positive degree isn't good ?
_________________

You have been the biggest disappointment this year. #2 (permalink) Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:03 am   You have been the biggest disappointment this year.

This sentence would match the dictionary sentence:
You have been a big disappointment.
The dictionary:
The restaurant is a big disappointment.

You have been a big disappointment
would be okay, but use of the definite article (... the ___ disappointment) indicates that this is one specific disappointment out of all disappointments, so requires 'biggest'.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
You have been the biggest disappointment this year. #3 (permalink) Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:05 pm   You have been the biggest disappointment this year.

Hello Bez,

Many thanks for your explanation.It is very logical.
_________________

please correct the below sentenceTest incompl/elem-196, User's Answer 1Test incompl/elem-170, Question 8The Koala is actually not a bear despite what its name implies.Pitcher vs. catcherPitcher vs. shortstopI think I am catching a cold. vs I think I catches a cold.pull over vs. pull inIs "step by step" an idiom?Meaning of "drum out"Explanation: package to store left over food...Synonym of slappMeaning of voyage