Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

forward; in advance
especially
ahead
apparently
rather
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

You have been the biggest disappointment this year.

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
I want to show my appreciation, | Don is the funniest guy I know!
listening exercises
You have been the biggest disappointment this year. #1 (permalink) Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:05 am   You have been the biggest disappointment this year.

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #178 "Comparatives and Superlatives (2)", question 6

You have been the ......... disappointment this year. Your work performance has been very poor.

(a) bigger
(b) biggest
(c) big

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #178 "Comparatives and Superlatives (2)", answer 6

You have been the biggest disappointment this year. Your work performance has been very poor.

Correct answer: (b) biggest

Your answer was: incorrect
You have been the big disappointment this year. Your work performance has been very poor.

If this sentence good in the Oxford dictionary:
The new restaurant was a big disappointment.
Why isn't good: You have been the big disappointment this year. I understand that superlative also good, but why the positive degree isn't good ?

You have been the biggest disappointment this year. #2 (permalink) Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:03 am   You have been the biggest disappointment this year.

This sentence would match the dictionary sentence:
You have been a big disappointment.
The dictionary:
The restaurant is a big disappointment.

You have been a big disappointment
would be okay, but use of the definite article (... the ___ disappointment) indicates that this is one specific disappointment out of all disappointments, so requires 'biggest'.
Language Coach

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
You have been the biggest disappointment this year. #3 (permalink) Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:05 pm   You have been the biggest disappointment this year.

Hello Bez,

Many thanks for your explanation.It is very logical.

I want to show my appreciation, | Don is the funniest guy I know!
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
please correct the below sentenceTest incompl/elem-196, User's Answer 1Test incompl/elem-170, Question 8The Koala is actually not a bear despite what its name implies.Pitcher vs. catcherPitcher vs. shortstopI think I am catching a cold. vs I think I catches a cold.pull over vs. pull inIs "step by step" an idiom?Meaning of "drum out"Explanation: package to store left over food...Synonym of slappMeaning of voyage