to keep in existence; to preserve; to support; to provide for
bond
experience
maintain
process

meaning of "Things in nature"

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Just the thought of eating fish made her flesh crawl. | he had an air-tight alibi and told him that he was off the hook
meaning of "Things in nature" #1 (permalink) Wed Oct 20, 2004 20:28 pm   meaning of "Things in nature"

Test No. incompl/elem-8 "Articles", question 3

It is important sometimes to stop and look around you at all the wonderful things ..........

(a) nature
(b) in nature
(c) in the nature

Test No. incompl/elem-8 "Articles", answer 3

It is important sometimes to stop and look around you at all the wonderful things in nature.

Correct answer: (b) in nature
_________________________

what is nature???

jose H.
jose H.

Nature #2 (permalink) Wed Oct 20, 2004 21:41 pm   Nature

Nature refers to all living things.

_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Nature #3 (permalink) Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:51 am   Nature

As I explained in the last reply, it means the natural world.
_________________

"In Nature" / "In the Nature" #4 (permalink) Sun Aug 26, 2007 14:17 pm   "In Nature" / "In the Nature"

Please could you explain why "In the Nature" is incorrect
Jon

meaning of "Things in nature" #5 (permalink) Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:26 am   meaning of "Things in nature"

Let me try...

Why don't we use "the" between in and Nature because (like Alan said) it means all living things. if we choose in the Nature, it will seem like a place (like : in the Jungle).

-- Correct me if I'm wrong --
Kharisma

Location: Jakarta, Indonesia

meaning of "Things in nature" #6 (permalink) Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:12 am   meaning of "Things in nature"

Fist of all I would like to thank you for the English emails. It is very simple and easy to understand.

I got one answer wrong int the articles test. I want to konw why in the nature is not correct please explain.

few e.g on simple present.
My name is Perianaiyagi Anthony. I am an accountant in a timber industries. I live in Gujarat (India). I have tow brothers and two sisters.
Peria

meaning of "Things in nature" #7 (permalink) Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:42 am   meaning of "Things in nature"

I made a mistake like Peria, please explain for me.

Thanks!
Cuoi

meaning of "Things in nature" #8 (permalink) Tue Oct 07, 2008 13:49 pm   meaning of "Things in nature"

I got that wrong too but it's certainly because my mother tongue is German and we say 'in der Natur'!
Dapitius

"In Nature" / "In the Nature" #9 (permalink) Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:25 am   "In Nature" / "In the Nature"

Why is 'in the nature' incorrect?
Sarathkottege

meaning of "Things in nature" #10 (permalink) Wed Apr 15, 2009 20:27 pm   meaning of "Things in nature"

Hi Alan, your explication doesn't explain nothing at all. My mother tongue is french and in french (as in german), we say " Dans la nature" ("in der Natur"). Nature also refers to all living things. So why can't it be also "in the nature" in english.
Eline2009

meaning of "Things in nature" #11 (permalink) Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:22 am   meaning of "Things in nature"

Hi Eline,

I don't think it makes much sense to compare languages when it comes to explaining how the articles are used. You are right, we do say 'in der Natur' in German but we also say 'in Wirklichkeit' (in reality).

As you can see, there are fixed expressions in any language and 'in nature' is just one of them. By the way, you might want to stick to basic punctuation and spelling rules when you talk about the English language. Also, the double negative ('doesn't explain nothing at all') is not used in English. Instead, your sentence should read 'doesn't explain anything'.

Best regards,

TOEIC listening, question-response: What were you doing in China?

meaning of "Things in nature" #12 (permalink) Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:26 am   meaning of "Things in nature"

Hi Eline,

Abstract words like 'nature' 'happiness' 'life' and so on that are used in a general and non-specific sense are not usually preceded by the definite article 'the'.

PS You might like to look at some material I have written for the site on the articles:

http://www.english-test.net/lessons/16/index.html and

http://www.english-test.net/lessons/57/index.html (1) (2) (3) (4)
_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

meaning of "Things in nature" #13 (permalink) Thu Apr 16, 2009 19:43 pm   meaning of "Things in nature"

Thanks!! :D
Eline2009

meaning of "Things in nature" #14 (permalink) Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:15 am   meaning of "Things in nature"

yes i have got it. Abstract nouns refer to those nouns that we can feel but can not see ...e.g. anger, jealousy,love,feelings...are not followed by the definite article 'the'. thanks a lot Alan sir.
Sonia*

meaning of "Things in nature" #15 (permalink) Mon Dec 28, 2009 17:52 pm   meaning of "Things in nature"

I got 8 out of 10.
My mistakes are:
3. "...the wonderful things in the nature."
7. "...about Romans is all the roads that they built in Britain."

I found English articles confusing especially when to use and not to use "THE" in the sentence.
Bencserj

Location: Philippines

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
and hoped that he had the available funds to cover the transactionsroom onto our house on the shelf until we have more money in our savings accounton the shelf vs. on holdHe had a drinking problem for a while and is now on the wagonon the wagonthrow off the scent/trackMeaning of the phrase "to signify expanding"?it was in his best interest to make a clean breast of his crimesas mad as a badgerlowering one's sights from post graduate studies and doctoral workUse of "slip"Question tag: she does, does she?Question tags