close-fitting; tense; narrow
negotiable
tight
moral
mean

Use another and when other

Meaning of 'a power failure' | I might have guessed
Use another and when other #1 (permalink) Tue May 23, 2006 17:12 pm   Use another and when other

Business English Courses, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #67 "Business dialogue on the phone", question 5

Bob: If another call comes in while I'm on the phone, should I put my wife on ......... and take it?

(a) wait
(b) hold
(c) hope
(d) the side

ESL/EFL Test #67 "Business dialogue on the phone", answer 5

Bob: If another call comes in while I'm on the phone, should I put my wife on hold and take it?

Correct answer: (b) hold

_________________________

It is not a question on the answer, but I have a doubt when you use another and when other.
Bob: if another...

Alba
Alba

Use another and when other #2 (permalink) Tue May 23, 2006 23:31 pm   Use another and when other

Hi Alba!

I think the error here is that another is written as one word. If you seperate it to an (article) other (pronoun) I think it would be correct. The same discussion we have at the forum "What do you want to talk about?" and here the topic "Are you afraid of making decisions" actually.

Michael
Foah

Location: next to Dortmund , Europe

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Use another and when other #3 (permalink) Wed May 24, 2006 4:27 am   Use another and when other

please, first of all, let me know if I'm mistaken but since I was a child I learned by heart that Another is used with singular nouns and other with singular or plural. Am I mistaken?

Thanks...
Blacksnake

Location: Chile

Use another and when other #4 (permalink) Wed May 24, 2006 6:10 am   Use another and when other

Hi blacksnake!

In my mind another and an other have different meanings! Please let me give you my an example about my experience:

Michael and Spencer help another/each other learning English! Michael helps Spencer and Spencer helps Michael

Now they feel :lol: proficient in English! So they try to help an other! Now they are arrogant and try to help any else English learner!

And if Michael isn?t right here I think there comes an English proficient and kick him in his a.......

Michael
Foah

Location: next to Dortmund , Europe

An other #5 (permalink) Wed May 24, 2006 8:22 am   An other

Hi Michael,

You wrote:

Now they feel proficient in English! So they try to help an other! Now they are arrogant and try to help any else English learner!

We need to change this, I'm afraid. It should be: Michael and Spencer help one another and try to help anyone else

Another is an adjective and written as one word meaning: additional as in : I'd like another example please.

Other is also an adjective meaning: different/alternative/not the same and can be used with the definite article as in: Let me show you the other photographs I took last year.Alan
_________________

Use another and when other #6 (permalink) Wed May 24, 2006 12:27 pm   Use another and when other

Fan of Arabian horses wrote:

Michael

Hi Michael

I'm afraid a bit of kicking is in order. ;)

First, have a look at what Alan wrote.
"another" = "additional" (and is always one word, not two)
BUT: the German "einander" could be translated with "each other" as well as "one another".

The word "other" would not be used with "an", but can be used with "the" (Again, look at what Alan wrote.)

OK, that's the end of the "posterior-kicking". :lol:

_________________

Use another and when other #7 (permalink) Sat Jul 11, 2009 19:40 pm   Use another and when other

put my wife on hold= keep my wife waiting?
thanks.

The order of adverbsMeaning of "pick on"What is beautician?What does institutional mean?simple vs plain'much room in the back' vs 'much fullness in the back'advertising medium vs advertising mechanismMeaning of buddywasn't listening vs didn't hearMeaning of "fluffy stuff"Meaning of idioms: divided house, lived large, a bear of a manMeaning of excelmeaning of collude