chase; quest; search; occupation; pastime
pursuit
supplier
mortgage
enough

Meaning of 'he was a doormat'

Sentence: ... for having us you must come to us next time | Meaning of "sob story"
Meaning of 'he was a doormat' #1 (permalink) Tue May 23, 2006 17:18 pm   Meaning of 'he was a doormat'

English Idioms and Expressions, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #20 "English Idioms (2)", question 3

Fabian was a doormat. No wonder his classmates were always giving him a hard time.

(a) snob
(b) geek
(c) coward
(d) chubby boy

ESL/EFL Test #20 "English Idioms (2)", answer 3

Fabian was a coward. No wonder his classmates were always giving him a hard time.

Correct answer: (c) coward
_________________________

what that mean?

Elly
Elly

Meaning of 'he was a doormat' #2 (permalink) Wed May 24, 2006 5:24 am   Meaning of 'he was a doormat'

Hi elly, that word means someone who submits meekly to domination or mistreatment by others.

I forgot this meaning as well:

It's a person who is physically weak and ineffectual

See ya around...
Blacksnake

Location: Chile

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of: What's the matter?Don't you usually say "at weekend"?Prepositions of time (preposition IN stead of AT)Meaning of gaddingIs it right to use MISTAKE instead of FAULT?Preposition "IN": In the seventeenth century...Why assasinated and not murdered?Meaning of shopliftersWhy is "do it all" here?Meaning of 'freaky'Why strode and not strayed?'by the shoulder' vs 'with/on the shoulder'Why not 'bear', 'stand' or 'bear'