to fail after starting well; to make a hissing noise which gradually fades into silence
combine
define
concentrate
fizzle

Another reason why English is more popular than German...

Entrepreneurship lesson | Is British English being Americanized?
Another reason why English is more popular than German... #1 (permalink) Mon Mar 19, 2012 20:48 pm   Another reason why English is more popular than German...

Here is another reason why the popularity of the German language has constantly been declining. Germany is lagging behind when it comes to embracing ecommerce and developing the internet economy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=APzSQ7a2foE

TOEIC listening, photographs: High jumping

Another reason why English is more popular than German... #2 (permalink) Sat Mar 24, 2012 15:58 pm   Another reason why English is more popular than German...

The reason the German language has been declining in popularity (if it even is declining) is that educated Germans can function in English, and many of those who are well educated and work for really good German companies are downright comfortable in English.

It's similar with French. When I lived in Europe, I saw cases where local companies were bought by French conglomerates, so the employees studied French in anticipation of their managers' arrival. When the French finally arrived, they told the employees to quit studying French, because, "We're going to speak English here." I'm sure the same has happened when the bosses are German.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but in the United States, various languages are declining just because Spanish is the monster that devours all other languages in schools and universities. At one time, French was the general first foreign language for Americans, but now it's overwhelmingly Spanish. Spanish is not economically important for most Americans, and Spanish does not give people the access to high culture and to fundamental writings that formed Western society, the way French does, but for some reason this is the language most kids choose. Many do so because they hear Spanish is "the easiest" foreign language, which I don't think it is.

Despite the economic and technical importance of Germany, most kids don't even consider learning German.

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Another reason why English is more popular than German... #3 (permalink) Sun Mar 25, 2012 20:53 pm   Another reason why English is more popular than German...

At least Dwight Schrute and his family still speak some German ;-)

TOEFL listening discussions: Which best describes the student's current activity?

Wie gut verstehen Sie Muttersprachler?All in One!cross-culturalWhat do you do during and after finish your work?Short discussion about making a planHow do you normally make your buying decisions.What do we actually buy?Good news...How about a bit of Madonna!Sports caption competition winnersAndante, ABBA and Frida.WashnutsHomer sometimes nods?