Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

outcome; compensation; counterbalance
slump
autograph
offset
quiet
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Is it right to use MISTAKE instead of FAULT?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of gadding | Prepositions of time (preposition IN stead of AT)
listening exercises
Is it right to use MISTAKE instead of FAULT? #1 (permalink) Thu May 25, 2006 15:44 pm   Is it right to use MISTAKE instead of FAULT?

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #112 "Synonyms for error and fault", question 7

Don't even think of shifting the blame on me, please! It's not my ......... for what happened.

(a) fault
(b) error
(c) gaffe
(d) misunderstanding

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #112 "Synonyms for error and fault", answer 7

Don't even think of shifting the blame on me, please! It's not my fault for what happened.

Correct answer: (a) fault

I wonder whether it is right to use "mistake" instead of fault?
It seems that "mistake", "fault", "error" have similar meanings, how to differentiate them from each other?

Many Thanks

FangFang
Fang Fang

Mistake/fault/error #2 (permalink) Fri May 26, 2006 9:07 am   Mistake/fault/error

Hi FangFang,

You are right because all the verbs indicate that something is wrong or has gone wrong.

Fault is often associated with the idea of blame. You have done something wrong and you are responsible for this/you are to blame for this and it is your fault.

Mistake is usually used in connection with apology. If you make a mistake because you've made the wrong decision, you accept that you have done something wrong and you apologise for it.

Error is often connected to the idea of something being incorrect. You can choose the wrong word in a sentence. You press the wrong key on the keyboard and your computer shows that this is wrong and the word error appears on the sccreen.

These are a few examples of the differences but there are many more.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of gadding | Prepositions of time (preposition IN stead of AT)
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Adverbs that don't require prepositions?Meaning and use of 'harm'Difference between 'story' and 'yarn'Modal verb: 'would'Idiom: "head over heels/heals"Good is an adjective, isn't it? should't well be used...Expression: splitting hairsMeaning of: What's the matter?Don't you usually say "at weekend"?Preposition "IN": In the seventeenth century...Why assasinated and not murdered?Meaning of shopliftersMeaning of "sob story"