Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

place where an event occurs; vista; view
must
engine
scene
sympathy
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Is British English being Americanized?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

ESL Forums | What do you want to talk about?
Another reason why English is more popular than German... | How about a bit of Madonna!
listening exercises
Is British English being Americanized? #76 (permalink) Sun Mar 25, 2012 22:48 pm   Is British English being Americanized?

Then no laws will help you, Jamie. Different ethnic groups can live together in harmony only if they respect each other and accept and tolerate their differences. Ralf, how do you define a 'bigot'? Maybe 80% of all people are indeed 'bigots' whatever the definition of that might be but they don't cause much harm because they are so preoccupied with their personal little problems and agendas.

TOEFL listening discussions: How many types of IMA passes are available?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Is British English being Americanized? #77 (permalink) Sun Mar 25, 2012 22:54 pm   Is British English being Americanized?

Ralf wrote:
Torsten wrote:
How many places are there in the US where most people are bigots? What percentage of the US population would you define as bigots?

TOEFL listening discussions: Why does the student visit the adviser's office?

80%, the same as in most European countries.

I think it's more in most European countries, because people are prejudiced even against people that foreigners wouldn't be able to tell apart from them. They both hate each other and marry each other.

In the US, the prejudices basically run "black" versus "not black". If you're from Africa or Haiti, you come under the category "not black". At least that's how it is in my area.
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Is British English being Americanized? #78 (permalink) Sun Mar 25, 2012 22:56 pm   Is British English being Americanized?

Torsten wrote:
Maybe 80% of all people are indeed 'bigots' whatever the definition of that might be but they don't cause much harm because they are so preoccupied with their personal little problems and agendas.

Until someone agitates them against each other and they start a war. That happens a couple times a century in Europe. They get along great, and intermarry a lot, and then suddenly they're killing each other.
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Is British English being Americanized? #79 (permalink) Sun Mar 25, 2012 23:00 pm   Is British English being Americanized?

Why am I 'not black' when I come from Africa? As far as I know about 90% of the population in Africa is black.

TOEFL listening discussions: Why does the student visit the professor?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Is British English being Americanized? #80 (permalink) Sun Mar 25, 2012 23:33 pm   Is British English being Americanized?

Torsten wrote:
Why am I 'not black' when I come from Africa? As far as I know about 90% of the population in Africa is black.

Because in the United States "black" is as much a matter of cultural behavior as skin color.
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Another reason why English is more popular than German... | How about a bit of Madonna!
ESL Forums | What do you want to talk about? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Wie gut verstehen Sie Muttersprachler?All in One!cross-culturalWhat do you do during and after finish your work?Short discussion about making a planHow do you normally make your buying decisions.What do we actually buy?Good news...Is British English being Americanized?, page 5Is British English being Americanized?, page 4Is British English being Americanized?Is British English being Americanized?, page 3Is British English being Americanized?, page 2