duty responsibility; indebtedness; agreement
obligation
information
waitress
standpoint

sentence structure comprehension - question

Meaning of start off | Late for work vs Late at work
sentence structure comprehension - question #1 (permalink) Mon Apr 09, 2012 20:23 pm   sentence structure comprehension - question

hi

i got a problem understanding this sentence, i do know the meaning of each word but i couldn't analyze the structure :

by 1917, indirect fire with guns (as well as mortars and even machine guns) was commonplace, using new techniques for spotting and ranging, notably aircraft and (often overlooked) field telephone.
Nouf Saad

sentence structure comprehension - question #2 (permalink) Mon Apr 09, 2012 21:20 pm   sentence structure comprehension - question

By 1917 they were commonly using indirect fire with guns, mortars and machine guns.
In order to do so, they needed to employ new techniques for spotting and ranging aircraft.
The new techniques for spotting and ranging are by using aircraft and by using the field telephone.
The field telephone is not given the same level of recognition as the aircraft for this work. (In the author's view it should be given more recognition.)
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
sentence structure comprehension - question #3 (permalink) Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:25 am   sentence structure comprehension - question

I can't make out the following sentences. I don't know whether my understanding is correct or not . please. help me understand the meaning:

1. There is nothing a woman wants so much as to be in love, and the odds are very much against two ‘right’ people ever finding each other.(= To be in love is the only thing which an woman desires most........................................)
2.She did not so much wake up as explode out of bed. (= She did not even wake up, far be it from her to explode out of bed.)
3.It is not so much that I dislike her as that I'm just not interested.(= It is not that I dislike her at all but I am simply not interested)

thanks,

souba73
Souba73

sentence structure comprehension - question #4 (permalink) Wed Apr 11, 2012 13:03 pm   sentence structure comprehension - question

Beeesneees wrote:

thank you
Nouf Saad

What's the difference between an argumentative essay and an opinion essay?Please let us know if of interest.Can you correct this sentence?My husband was brought up by his grandparents?Try out vs. work outWhat is the difference between look and see?Where shoulld be use HAVING?Curves in the bodyworkMeaning of blobMeaning of 'get up'I can speak French...It's high time...Expression "kill time"