to guide; to lead; to instruct; to manage; to supervise
evaluate
discourage
direct
angle

Prepositions: "far from", "next to"

Debt vs. debit | Difference between "name" and "call" her
Prepositions: "far from", "next to" #1 (permalink) Mon May 29, 2006 9:28 am   Prepositions: "far from", "next to"

ESL/EFL Test #43 "Basic English Grammar", question 5

The bathroom is ......... to the front door.

(a) next
(b) far
(c) opposite
(d) away

ESL/EFL Test #43 "Basic English Grammar", answer 5

The bathroom is next to the front door.

Correct answer: (a) next
_________________________

How should I know the right answer?

My answer was ... (c)

samia
samia

Prepositions: "far from", "next to", &qu #2 (permalink) Mon May 29, 2006 10:53 am   Prepositions: "far from", "next to", &qu

.
The right answer can be found by noticing the next word, to. Only next to collocates: next to the door. The other answers collocate like this: far from the door, opposite the door, away from the door.
.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Prepositions: "far from", "next to" #3 (permalink) Thu May 31, 2007 4:18 am   Prepositions: "far from", "next to"

Hi, I would like to make sure I can't say "be opposite to the door"?

I think I have learned that "be opposite to sth." is correct.
Seanmen

Prepositions: "far from", "next to" #4 (permalink) Thu May 31, 2007 5:38 am   Prepositions: "far from", "next to"

.
It appears to be British usage. The Brits and Americans more often use 'opposite' as a preposition-- opposite the front door. I'm glad I didn't write this question.
.
_________________

Prepositions: "far from", "next to" #5 (permalink) Thu May 31, 2007 7:02 am   Prepositions: "far from", "next to"

Hey mate, I am sorry but I did not quite get you.

How come it is "British usage" but "the Brits" and Americans more often use...?

Does that mean this question has two correct answers?
Seanmen

Prepositions: "far from", "next to" #6 (permalink) Thu May 31, 2007 8:08 am   Prepositions: "far from", "next to"

.
Are you Australian? Why are you calling me 'mate'?
.
_________________

Prepositions: "far from", "next to" #7 (permalink) Thu May 31, 2007 8:54 am   Prepositions: "far from", "next to"

I am not Australian. I am in Australia at the moment.

I was calling you "mate" because I would like to show a friendship.

Well, just tell me if you do not like I am calling you "mate". I will call you "Mister Mcawber":)
Seanmen

Prepositions: "far from", "next to" #8 (permalink) Thu May 31, 2007 9:07 am   Prepositions: "far from", "next to"

.
I don't mind Ozzies calling me 'mate', but it is regional slang which does not sit well on non-Australians. As a learner, you should restrict your usage to international English-- that is, English which is 'standard' in that it is not coloured by regional dialects. This is a problem that arises when learners try to incorporate slang into their vocabularies. Casual regional English is properly acquired only through immersion in that society and is natural only within that society.

As to your original question, Sean-- I will have to let the test writer respond to that. I have only the BBI dictionary of collocations to refer to.
.
_________________

Prepositions: "far from", "next to" #9 (permalink) Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:20 am   Prepositions: "far from", "next to"

Mister Micawber wrote:
.
I have only the BBI dictionary of collocations to refer to.
.

Hello MM

BBI stands for?

Thanks in advance

Prepositions: "far from", "next to" #10 (permalink) Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:50 am   Prepositions: "far from", "next to"

.
The authors (Morton Benson, Evelyn Benson and Robert Ilson). ISBN 9027221677 or 1556195214.
.
_________________

next to #11 (permalink) Fri Dec 25, 2009 14:39 pm   next to

Bad place for a bathroom. I can believe it. It's better to put the living room next to the front door.
I answered opposite because it's not a good place for the bad room
Perhaps the owner says to his visitors: "wash your hands(feet?) before you enter my home.
Now I'm noticing that I missed to
_________________
A cup of good coffe can make life bearable.
Alfwm

Location: Bogotá, Colombia

Re: Prepositions: "far from", "next to" #12 (permalink) Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:15 am   Re: Prepositions: "far from", "next to"

Why not Option C ?

Best regards
Partap Singh
Partap548

Prepositions: "far from", "next to" #13 (permalink) Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:33 am   Prepositions: "far from", "next to"

Because the preposition 'opposite' is not followed by 'to'.

TOEIC short conversations: Two co-workers are discussing their career plans

Test incompl/inter-222, Question 4Test incompl/inter-222, User's Answer 3Test incompl/elem-191, User's Answer 10Is I ate already correct?Total confusion!What does 'posh' mean?difference between happen to and come to?Using At or In before the name of placeDifference between mess and messyWhat does "to mark down" mean?Difference between supressed and muffledWhat does this phrase mean: "I don't care"? Is it an idiom?Expense account