Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to guide; to lead; to instruct; to manage; to supervise
evaluate
discourage
direct
angle
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Prepositions: "far from", "next to"

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Debt vs. debit | Difference between "name" and "call" her
listening exercises
Prepositions: "far from", "next to" #1 (permalink) Mon May 29, 2006 9:28 am   Prepositions: "far from", "next to"

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #43 "Basic English Grammar", question 5

The bathroom is ......... to the front door.

(a) next
(b) far
(c) opposite
(d) away

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #43 "Basic English Grammar", answer 5

The bathroom is next to the front door.

Correct answer: (a) next

How should I know the right answer?

My answer was ... (c)

samia
samia

Prepositions: "far from", "next to", &qu #2 (permalink) Mon May 29, 2006 10:53 am   Prepositions: "far from", "next to", &qu

The right answer can be found by noticing the next word, to. Only next to collocates: next to the door. The other answers collocate like this: far from the door, opposite the door, away from the door.

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Prepositions: "far from", "next to" #3 (permalink) Thu May 31, 2007 4:18 am   Prepositions: "far from", "next to"

Hi, I would like to make sure I can't say "be opposite to the door"?

I think I have learned that "be opposite to sth." is correct.
Seanmen
You can meet me at english-test.net

Prepositions: "far from", "next to" #4 (permalink) Thu May 31, 2007 5:38 am   Prepositions: "far from", "next to"

It appears to be British usage. The Brits and Americans more often use 'opposite' as a preposition-- opposite the front door. I'm glad I didn't write this question.

Prepositions: "far from", "next to" #5 (permalink) Thu May 31, 2007 7:02 am   Prepositions: "far from", "next to"

Hey mate, I am sorry but I did not quite get you.

How come it is "British usage" but "the Brits" and Americans more often use...?

Does that mean this question has two correct answers?
Seanmen

Prepositions: "far from", "next to" #6 (permalink) Thu May 31, 2007 8:08 am   Prepositions: "far from", "next to"

Are you Australian? Why are you calling me 'mate'?

Prepositions: "far from", "next to" #7 (permalink) Thu May 31, 2007 8:54 am   Prepositions: "far from", "next to"

I am not Australian. I am in Australia at the moment.

I was calling you "mate" because I would like to show a friendship.

Well, just tell me if you do not like I am calling you "mate". I will call you "Mister Mcawber":)
Seanmen

Prepositions: "far from", "next to" #8 (permalink) Thu May 31, 2007 9:07 am   Prepositions: "far from", "next to"

I don't mind Ozzies calling me 'mate', but it is regional slang which does not sit well on non-Australians. As a learner, you should restrict your usage to international English-- that is, English which is 'standard' in that it is not coloured by regional dialects. This is a problem that arises when learners try to incorporate slang into their vocabularies. Casual regional English is properly acquired only through immersion in that society and is natural only within that society.

As to your original question, Sean-- I will have to let the test writer respond to that. I have only the BBI dictionary of collocations to refer to.

Prepositions: "far from", "next to" #9 (permalink) Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:20 am   Prepositions: "far from", "next to"

Mister Micawber wrote:
I have only the BBI dictionary of collocations to refer to.

Hello MM

BBI stands for?

Thanks in advance

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Prepositions: "far from", "next to" #10 (permalink) Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:50 am   Prepositions: "far from", "next to"

The authors (Morton Benson, Evelyn Benson and Robert Ilson). ISBN 9027221677 or 1556195214.

next to #11 (permalink) Fri Dec 25, 2009 14:39 pm   next to

Bad place for a bathroom. I can believe it. It's better to put the living room next to the front door.
I answered opposite because it's not a good place for the bad room
Perhaps the owner says to his visitors: "wash your hands(feet?) before you enter my home.
Now I'm noticing that I missed to

Re: Prepositions: "far from", "next to" #12 (permalink) Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:15 am   Re: Prepositions: "far from", "next to"

Why not Option C ?

Best regards
Partap Singh
Partap548
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Prepositions: "far from", "next to" #13 (permalink) Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:33 am   Prepositions: "far from", "next to"

Because the preposition 'opposite' is not followed by 'to'.

TOEIC short conversations: Two co-workers are discussing their career plans
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Debt vs. debit | Difference between "name" and "call" her
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Test incompl/inter-222, Question 4Test incompl/inter-222, User's Answer 3Test incompl/elem-191, User's Answer 10Is I ate already correct?Total confusion!What does 'posh' mean?difference between happen to and come to?Using At or In before the name of placeDifference between mess and messyWhat does "to mark down" mean?Difference between supressed and muffledWhat does this phrase mean: "I don't care"? Is it an idiom?Expense account