to copy; to replicate; to photocopy
appeal
reply
recognize
duplicate

Why I can't use IN?

skip it-omit it? | At midnight VERSUS on midnight
Why I can't use IN? #1 (permalink) Wed May 31, 2006 21:19 pm   Why I can't use IN?

ESL/EFL Test #206 "Prepositions of Time and Date (4)", question 3

......... one week ago, she was told she couldn't have any more time off.

(a) For
(b) (none)
(c) In

ESL/EFL Test #206 "Prepositions of Time and Date (4)", answer 3

One week ago, she was told she couldn't have any more time off.

Correct answer: (b) (none)

In one week ago, she was told she couldn't have any more time off.
_________________________

Why I can't use In ?

Tonga
Tonga

Why I can't use IN? #2 (permalink) Fri Jun 02, 2006 0:10 am   Why I can't use IN?

Hi English Learner!

As your question probably is forgotten by the administrators, please let me try to give you answer:

One week ago is not a special point of time but a span of time. So you can?t use a preposition.

Anything else it would be, if we assume that the week in which the expression was made, were the second calendar week (cw). So the expression could be:
In the first cw, she was told she couldn?t have any more time off. Mentioning the first cw a special point of time is used and here the preposition in were due. It were also one week ago.

And God help me if I failed now. :shock: All the English proficient would beat and kick me! :wink: :lol:

Michael
Foah

Location: next to Dortmund , Europe

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Why I can't use IN? #3 (permalink) Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:30 am   Why I can't use IN?

Hi Michael

Thanks for pointing out that this question had been overlooked.

To make the answer short and sweet, you can say:
in one week
-- OR ---
one week ago

"Ago" always refers to a past point in time and is simply not used with a preposition.

Also, "in one week" could be used to talk about the future:
"I'll see you in one week."

Michael, the way "calendar week" is used in German/Germany is basically unknown in the U.S. (I'm not sure about the UK) And therefore, writing "CW" is even more mysterious. :lol:

If you said "I'm planning to go on vacation in calendar week 32.", an American wouldn't have any idea what you're talking about. (OK, maybe some clever Americans might think "Huh? Oh! There are 52 weeks in a year, so Michael must be talking about a vacation sometime after June." )
:lol:

_________________

Why I can't use IN? #4 (permalink) Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:36 am   Why I can't use IN?

Hi Amy,

I was chewing the cud on what Michael wanted to say. I learned and I used automatically:
-one week ago /Without preposition/
-one month ago
-one year ago
-two weeks ago etc.
I just was to answer to him when I saw your answer. It is very logical than always.

I understand the calendar week is unknown in the US and probably in the UK also.
But I imagine that they can understand if I would say:
In the first week of next year we are going to ski. /or the second;by chance the third but with 'the forth week' we probably say at the end of January./

But it is only a sophism or a game with the words, isn't it?

Can I ask you something: is it correct in my sentence that I didn't use definite article with 'next year'. In this sentence I felt that rule is changeable and I should write a 'the'. I don't know.

Thanks:
_________________

Why I can't use IN? #5 (permalink) Wed Nov 30, 2011 16:19 pm   Why I can't use IN?

One week ago, she was told she couldn't have any more time off. - this sentence means that she was told:,,You can't have any more time off.'' in direct speech?

Many thanks

remove desire, ill will and ignoranceMeaning of "To make headway"How to use prepositions of time?What does "butter up" mean?"I'm sure we'll make it" vs "I'm sure we'll take it"What does write up mean?It is correct "... you must wear ..."?"Work out" vs "Work on"What does "well back" mean?Use 'just': for exemple: Just him and me?fair judgement vs. fair trialI would like to know if we leave 'what' any longer?Meaning of phrasal verb "to wrap up"