at a further point
below
firm
direct
deliberately

the oldest and largest trees in the world are found in California

your evaluation please? | Passionate about art in general?
the oldest and largest trees in the world are found in California #1 (permalink) Wed May 09, 2012 8:13 am   the oldest and largest trees in the world are found in California

ESL/EFL Test #219 "Grammar and Vocabulary Practice: California (1)", question 4

Some of the oldest and largest trees in the world are ......... in California. The Redwoods, on the California coast, are the tallest trees and the largest ones are located in Sequoia National Forest.

(a) lived
(b) found
(c) grow
(d) existing

ESL/EFL Test #219 "Grammar and Vocabulary Practice: California (1)", answer 4

Some of the oldest and largest trees in the world are found in California. The Redwoods, on the California coast, are the tallest trees and the largest ones are located in Sequoia National Forest.

Correct answer: (b) found

Some of the oldest and largest trees in the world are existing in California. The Redwoods, on the California coast, are the tallest trees and the largest ones are located in Sequoia National Forest.
_________________________

Hi, I have a question?
why doesn't "existing" work here?
Gsheasha

the oldest and largest trees in the world are found in California #2 (permalink) Wed May 09, 2012 8:22 am   the oldest and largest trees in the world are found in California

The verb 'exist' is not usually used in the continuous form because the meaning of the verb itself already indicates the idea of continuing. If you wanted to use the verb and mean that the trees are still there, you would use the simple form:

Some of the oldest and largest trees in the world exist in California.

_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
the oldest and largest trees in the world are found in California #3 (permalink) Wed May 09, 2012 11:19 am   the oldest and largest trees in the world are found in California

Thank you Alan,
Studying English in this site is WONDERFUL.
I have another question. I posted it in the forum, but on-one replied me.
What does disposition in "Geographic disposition" refer to?
I looked for it in the dictionary. Here's what I got:
[C usually singular] the particular type of character which a person naturally has
She is of a nervous/cheerful/sunny disposition.
[S + to infinitive] formal a natural tendency to do something, or to have or develop something
a disposition to deceive

Unfortunately, it seems to me that none of them fit in my context.
Thanks in advance
Gsheasha

the oldest and largest trees in the world are found in California #4 (permalink) Wed May 09, 2012 20:43 pm   the oldest and largest trees in the world are found in California

I think 'natural tendency' might well fit, but I suspect thast we'd need to see more context.
_________________

the oldest and largest trees in the world are found in California #5 (permalink) Tue Dec 25, 2012 21:09 pm   the oldest and largest trees in the world are found in California

Many thanks Alan , I wanted to ask the same question so exist is not usually used in the continuous form . I didn't know.
_________________

He is really angry, so we should leave him alone for a while.Can you give me a little more information about the house?Mitchell is a police officer.Those kids should know better. They shouldn't tease that boy anymore.How long have you worked here (at this place) as a city planner (in this job).I need your expense reports on my desk and on the double.on the alerthe was being hurtfulI don't have a jobturning brownA youth is a young personWhat animal is a tortoise?What is a mover?