to present; to show or illustrate something through example, or physical demonstrations
adjourn
ignore
hesitate
demonstrate

Jekyll and Hyde

idiom: until the fat lady sings | Test incompl/advan-875, User's Answer 8
Jekyll and Hyde #1 (permalink) Sun May 13, 2012 10:49 am   Jekyll and Hyde

She thought that he had kind of a ......... personality. He was the nicest, sweetest guy one minute and an ogre the next. He could barely hold on to his anger during those times and said the most despicable things.

(a) Type A
(b) sanguine
(c) Jekyll and Hyde
(d) Balanced

She thought that he had kind of a Jekyll and Hyde personality. He was the nicest, sweetest guy one minute and an ogre the next. He could barely hold on to his anger during those times and said the most despicable things.

Correct answer: (c) Jekyll and Hyde

She thought that he had kind of a Type A personality. He was the nicest, sweetest guy one minute and an ogre the next. He could barely hold on to his anger during those times and said the most despicable things.
_________________________

I think, it is not easy to find the meaning of the slang idioms ,like "Jekyll and Hyde" in a common dictionary..I would like to know that is there any special idiom dic where i can find the meanings of all those strange idioms? Thank you in advance.
Lucas Tun

Jekyll and Hyde #2 (permalink) Sun May 13, 2012 10:52 am   Jekyll and Hyde

My advice to you would be to use Google to look for definitions. Dictionary editors have a tendency of omitting certain expresisons because they can't encompass every possible expression - there are so many of them.
For example, I plugged "Jekyll and Hyde meaning" into the search and immediately came up with a definition:
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Re: Jekyll and Hyde #3 (permalink) Sun May 13, 2012 12:43 pm   Re: Jekyll and Hyde

Yes, there are many dictionaries that can give you such definitions! I suggest you use a pad and note down all these weird idioms. It's what I did and it did help! Repeat them from time to time, at least once a week!

And don't forget that Google's your friend!
JimmyAL

Location: London

Jekyll and Hyde #4 (permalink) Sun May 13, 2012 13:49 pm   Jekyll and Hyde

Thanks Our Tort System. I ever heard the idiom but I don't know its meaning till I read your reference site. I got new knowledge.
Risna

Jekyll and Hyde #5 (permalink) Tue May 15, 2012 10:53 am   Jekyll and Hyde

Great advice and suggestions,guys. The world will still be pleasant to live in because of helpful people ,like you.And the learners of the english language will greatly be encouraged,of course.
Lucas Tun

now they vs. they nowMy favorite and least favorite school subjectTest incompl/advan-522, Question 7head or heads?Meaning of 'Past Due Accounts'?I need you to pick me up at 4:30 pmAshes to asheslike to watch vs. like watchingwhy we don't use to quit?Difference between possibly and probablyPlease explain this phrase: "What makes you say that, madam?"Using: others, other, anothesWhat does dead mean?