to provide; to offer; to distribute; to supply; to sell; to trade
inconvenience
limit
deal
arrive

What is the difference between 'as' and 'like'?

For Whom the Bells Toll | Fancy a fancy fancy?
What is the difference between 'as' and 'like'? #1 (permalink) Sat Jun 03, 2006 16:43 pm   What is the difference between 'as' and 'like'?

The fighting troops are led on the chessboard, as in real life, by the king.

I know that the above sentence is correct. Would there be any difference in meaning if I used like instead of as? would it be grammatically correct?
New_user.

As/like #2 (permalink) Sat Jun 03, 2006 20:43 pm   As/like

I'm sure there's some fancy smancy english professor in a stuffy old university broom closet that was converted into an office who has a 10 page answer for this, but I'm just gonna put in a simpler way. I love run on sentences. :)

The fighting troops are led on the chessboard by the king just like in real life.

This would be a proper use of the word like....however if you want to know the truth....people in real life use both words whether it's correct or not.
oomniman

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Creativity vs. rules #3 (permalink) Sat Jun 03, 2006 21:25 pm   Creativity vs. rules

oomniman wrote:

And I like them, too, especially if they are as funny (ha ha) as yours! That's what I call creative coaching!

:)

Homewards in everyday conversationSubjuntive or not?Time to or Time for?English prepositions: On or at?Ashamed of or from?The usage of THOSE OFTo make the scene vs. To dig the sceneGerund vs. subclause (who...)The adjective 'desperate'The body beautifulBetter -- comparativesReplace with and Substitute forWhat does court test mean?