border; limit; obstacle; barricade
stress
department
barrier
combine

curb appeal

What is a recliner? | What is the difference between "end" and "finish"?
curb appeal #1 (permalink) Thu May 24, 2012 11:11 am   curb appeal

ESL/EFL Test #610 "Real Life: Real Estate (5)", question 5

We figured a fresh coat of paint and some new plants for the landscaping would be a relatively inexpensive way to significantly increase the ......... appeal of our place. We are going to put it up for sale in about a month and wanted to make sure people's first impression of the place would be a good one.

(a) court
(b) curb
(c) cul-de-sac
(d) view

ESL/EFL Test #610 "Real Life: Real Estate (5)", answer 5

We figured a fresh coat of paint and some new plants for the landscaping would be a relatively inexpensive way to significantly increase the curb appeal of our place. We are going to put it up for sale in about a month and wanted to make sure people's first impression of the place would be a good one.

Correct answer: (b) curb

We figured a fresh coat of paint and some new plants for the landscaping would be a relatively inexpensive way to significantly increase the court appeal of our place. We are going to put it up for sale in about a month and wanted to make sure people's first impression of the place would be a good one.
_________________________

I can't find "curb appeal" in the Dic. So, i think, "curb" is used to emphasize "appeal", here. What exactly, curb means in this sentence?.I would like to know.Thanks.
Lucas Tun

curb appeal #2 (permalink) Thu May 24, 2012 11:28 am   curb appeal

Not so much "emphasize" as "modify".
Curb appeal refers to the appeal of your house as viewed from the curb.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_appeal
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
File up an application foron walk-ins and reach-ins???proof reading on Weather. Pls check. Thanksmeaning of The final fraction is ‘fines’ – nameless dust.now they vs. they noweveryday vs every dayWhat is ice hockey?What is a bat?How long does the title search take?What does the expression "find the way out" mean?looking up information"expand on" versus "spread out"'surprised at how many' instead of 'surprised how many'