Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

sending of cargo or freight
concrete
shipment
expertise
nomination
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Time to or Time for?

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Homewards in everyday conversation | Everyday, Everybody, Everyone etc
listening exercises
Time to or Time for? #1 (permalink) Sun Jun 04, 2006 16:22 pm   Time to or Time for?

Hi,

What is better?

1- I need some time -----myself. ( to/ for)

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Time to or Time for? #2 (permalink) Sun Jun 04, 2006 17:16 pm   Time to or Time for?

Hi Tom

I'd probably say "I need some time to myself". But I think you can use either "to" or "for" in your sentence.

My personal feeling is:
- Using the word "to" indicates "time alone".
- Using the word "for" could also indicate "alone", but not necessarily. It could also mean "time doing things that I want to do but there might also be other people doing them with me. The main thing is, I do things I want to do, and not things that I have to do or that somebody else wants (me) to do."

Maybe somebody else will also give their opinion here.

Amy

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Homewards in everyday conversation | Everyday, Everybody, Everyone etc
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Expression: As a night pass...Differences between CFR, CPT, DAF and DDP and its menaingParts of SpeechFunctions of GerundFunctions of InfinitiveExpression: "You don't say!"Subjuntive or not?Trust / Believe (in)English prepositions: On or at?Ashamed of or from?Bulit, Locate, SituateThe usage of THOSE OFWhat are the three degrees of comparison? (adjectives: as...as)