track; path; customary series of stops during a trip
gratitude
route
leather
appliance

Homewards in everyday conversation

Subjuntive or not? | Time to or Time for?
Homewards in everyday conversation #1 (permalink) Sun Jun 04, 2006 16:40 pm   Homewards in everyday conversation

I just wanted to know if the word homewards can be used in everyday conversation.

1- Let's move/ drive homewards.(How does it sound?)

ps: is "an" required before "everyday" ?

Homewards in everyday conversation #2 (permalink) Sun Jun 04, 2006 16:57 pm   Homewards in everyday conversation

Hi Tom

"Homewards" is not a terribly commonly used word. But a relatively common expression would be "homeward bound".

If you said "Let's drive homeward" I would tend to understand that we're going to drive in the general direction of home, but possibly by an indirect route OR you might be so far away from home that you can't reach your destination (home) in one day.

If you said "Let's drive home" I would expect to drive directly home.

Using "an" in front of "everyday" depends on whether the noun following "everday" is countable or not.

_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Differences between CFR, CPT, DAF and DDP and its menaingParts of SpeechFunctions of GerundFunctions of InfinitiveExpression: "You don't say!"Trust / Believe (in)English prepositions: On or at?Ashamed of or from?Bulit, Locate, SituateThe usage of THOSE OFWhat are the three degrees of comparison? (adjectives: as...as)What is the difference between 'as' and 'like'?Kind of Verb