Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

being more than is needed; excessive; unnecessary
salient
striped
residual
superfluous
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Expression: "You don't say!"

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Functions of Infinitive | Differences between CFR, CPT, DAF and DDP and its menaing
listening exercises
Expression: "You don't say!" #1 (permalink) Sun Jun 04, 2006 19:51 pm   Expression: "You don't say!"

Dear friends

When do we use the given expression?

* You don't say!

Thanks a lot

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

You don't say! #2 (permalink) Sun Jun 04, 2006 20:39 pm   You don't say!

Quote:
You don't say!

You can use this expression when you are surprised at what someone has said. You could also say: "Really?"
Conchita
Language Coach

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
You don't say! #3 (permalink) Sun Jun 04, 2006 21:46 pm   You don't say!

Hi Conchita,

Quote:
when you are surprised

surprised... but negative or positive?

Does 'You don't say so!' mean that a person, who exclaims, has some doubts about what he/she was talked (and voices the doubt)?

You don't say (so)! #4 (permalink) Sun Jun 04, 2006 22:43 pm   You don't say (so)!

Tamara wrote:
Hi Conchita,

Quote:
when you are surprised

surprised... but negative or positive?

Does 'You don't say so!' mean that a person, who exclaims, has some doubts about what he/she was told (and voices the doubt)?

Yes, that's right, Tamara. You can also say that when you find something hard to believe. Sometimes it is used ironically, as well.
Conchita
Language Coach

You don't say (so)! #5 (permalink) Sun Jun 04, 2006 23:00 pm   You don't say (so)!

Thank you, Conchita, for the answer (and for told)

So, as I understand, it would be generally inappropriate (not polite) for a pupil to exclaim it when talking with a teacher. For example.

You don't say (so)! #6 (permalink) Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:36 am   You don't say (so)!

Tamara wrote:
Thank you, Conchita, for the answer (and for told)

So, as I understand, it would be generally inappropriate (not polite) for a pupil to exclaim it when talking with a teacher. For example.

It would probably depend on the relationship between teacher and student, on the tone with which it is spoken, on the teacher’s sense of humour, perhaps on their ages, etc. But, basically, I agree with you that it might not be a good idea to say that to a teacher — and definitely not if it is said with irony :) ! When students question something the teacher has said, they should express their doubts openly, I think.
Conchita
Language Coach

Functions of Infinitive | Differences between CFR, CPT, DAF and DDP and its menaing
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Expression: A weird combinationSentence structure + impersonal constructionDifference; Application and formal letterExpression: As a night pass...Parts of SpeechFunctions of GerundHomewards in everyday conversationSubjuntive or not?Do a double takeTime to or Time for?Trust / Believe (in)The one who inflicts cruelty is cruel and the one...English prepositions: On or at?