Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to provide; to offer; to distribute; to supply; to sell; to trade
inconvenience
limit
deal
arrive
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

May 31: Today Is World No Tobacco Day

ESL Forum | What do you want to talk about?
You are teaching English wrong ways Torsten! | When you happen to do business,
listening exercises
May 31: Today Is World No Tobacco Day #1 (permalink) Thu May 31, 2012 21:42 pm   May 31: Today Is World No Tobacco Day

Hi all,

today is World No Tobacco Day.

All of you smokers try and leave your cigarettes in your drawer for 24 hours. Perhaps you'll never take them out again.

You can do it! I did it (years ago), and so can you. :-)

Claudia
Cgk
I'm a Communicator ;-)

May 31: Today Is World No Tobacco Day #2 (permalink) Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:06 am   May 31: Today Is World No Tobacco Day

It's called "cold turkey" to mean giving up smoking suddenly, right? (However, I'm not sure whether the phrase is also used in the UK or any English speaking countries other than the US.)

I wonder how many people can do that when they are not diagnosed with lung cancer!

Justin
Justin_Huang
I'm here quite often ;-)

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
May 31: Today Is World No Tobacco Day #3 (permalink) Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:37 am   May 31: Today Is World No Tobacco Day

The phrase is used in the UK too, Justin.
Language Coach

May 31: Today Is World No Tobacco Day #4 (permalink) Fri Jun 01, 2012 23:07 pm   May 31: Today Is World No Tobacco Day

Justin_Huang wrote:
I wonder how many people can do that when they are not diagnosed with lung cancer!

In my experience, cold turkey is the only way that works. Nicotine gum and patches keep giving you the addictive poison, so the body never actually detoxifies and the craving doesn't stop. You're more likely to smoke again because the receptors in the brain are still as active as ever.

Claudia
Cgk
I'm a Communicator ;-)

You are teaching English wrong ways Torsten! | When you happen to do business,
ESL Forum | What do you want to talk about? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
My another Hero, Jose MourinhoEnglish is Gold, so ETN is Gold?Was/Were born vs. Are bornAre You Planning to move to U.S/Canada for higher studies or businessIs Cleopatra Egytian?Please help me about this situation.When you happen to think, you are big.suppose that you are stuck in a bad situationDo you like talking to foreign people who are learning English?Hello.everyone~I have a question .EurovisionHelp each other to learn fasterChinese Dragon