to adapt oneself; to host guests; to provide lodging
accommodate
prize
pose
slip

Contemptuous vs. contemptible

the largest land mass in the world? | Borrow vs. lend
Contemptuous vs. contemptible #1 (permalink) Sun Jun 04, 2006 21:01 pm   Contemptuous vs. contemptible

Common Errors in English, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #12 "Latin Words", question 6

To act in this disgraceful manner can only be described as contemptuous by anybody's standards.

(a) disgraceful
(b) described
(c) contemptuous
(d) anybody's

ESL/EFL Test #12 "Latin Words", answer 6

To act in this disgraceful manner can only be described as contemptible by anybody's standards.

Correct entry: contemptible
The error was: (c) contemptuous

You have not found the error.
To act in this disgraceful manner can only be described as contemptuous by anyone's standards.
_________________________

Contemptuous is as logical a choice as contemptible. 'By anyone's standards the disgraceful act was contemptuous (toward those present, for example.

USA speaker of English
US English speaker John

Contemptuous #2 (permalink) Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:10 am   Contemptuous

Hi USA speaker of English,

You said:

I feel that contemptuous - showing contempt - is more appropriate when the subject is animate whereas in this sentence the subject is inanimate/abstract - act and to my mind requires contemptible.

_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Contemptuous vs. contemptible #3 (permalink) Mon May 17, 2010 1:25 am   Contemptuous vs. contemptible

I think a thing deserving of contempt is contemptible, and a thing that showing contempt is contemptuous, and this has nothing to do with animate or inanimate/abstract objects
Nabilchamlal

Contemptuous vs. contemptible #4 (permalink) Mon May 17, 2010 8:53 am   Contemptuous vs. contemptible

Hi Nabilchamlal,

I see you are on the trail of comments in the past. I can only say again that I believe that contemptuous is the attitude of those who hold something in contempt and whatever they hold in contempt is contemptible. That's why I made this comment:

_________________

Doesn't a comma come after when?One "I" reduntant!help me plz!Why flying not just fly?bought vs broughtAny idear or any idea...?Test incompl/inter-840, User's Answer 4Loaded car?Watch vs. lookusing 'in' or 'for' in this case to replace 'since'?make vs. doWho vs. whomDifference between lengthy and long