to exercise; to train; to drill
draft
comprise
practice
lack

Reversion vs. revision

meaning of collude | Difference between warn and advise
Reversion vs. revision #1 (permalink) Sun Jun 04, 2006 21:25 pm   Reversion vs. revision

Common Errors in English, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #12 "Latin Words", question 3

This is a complete reversal of the terms as they were originally laid out in the last will and testament.

(a) reversal
(b) terms
(c) laid out
(d) will

ESL/EFL Test #12 "Latin Words", answer 3

This is a complete reversion of the terms as they were originally laid out in the last will and testament.

Correct entry: reversion
The error was: (a) reversal

You have not found the error.
_________________________

'Reversion' indicates a 'return to a previous condition'. 'This is a complete reversion of the terms as they were originally laid out in the last will and testament.' is an oxymoron.

The sentence is meaningful as it stands; 'reversal of the terms' is possible.

Perhaps you confuse 'reversion' and 'revision'?

To recap, 'revision' and 'reversal' both are meaningful in the sentence. 'Reversion' does not.

American English speaker
US English speaker John

Test #2 (permalink) Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:45 am   Test

Hi American English speaker,

Reversion indicates the returning of property to its previous owner at the end of a period during which it was the temporary possession of somebody else.

Confusion between revision and reversion?

_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Reversion vs. revision #3 (permalink) Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:36 am   Reversion vs. revision

hi, Mr Alan:
Reversion means the right to succeed to an estate. Is that right in this context above?
How about the difference between reversal and conversion. For example, when i describe a trend in a graph which word i should you to show that this trend is a complete contrast with that trend. Can you give me an illustration for two these words.
Thank you in advance.
Hoamuahe

Location: Qui nhon, binh dinh, Viet Nam

"to peter out" vs "to peter off"Idiom 'Fair weather friend'The order of adverbsMeaning of "pick on"What is beautician?What does institutional mean?Meaning of 'a power failure'simple vs plain'much room in the back' vs 'much fullness in the back'Meaning of buddyWhat is the difference between delightful and delighted?Difference of usage between 'of' and 'for'Use another and when other