esteem; respect; integrity; honesty; award; privilege
registering
honor
cabinet
accommodation

How can I increase the speed of my reading?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

My teacher says it's impolite to say. | What do you think of 'poverty in the world'?
How can I increase the speed of my reading? #16 (permalink) Wed Jun 13, 2012 15:36 pm   How can I increase the speed of my reading?

Fariba, ultimately you answered the your question effectively!

Well done.

When I used to read in reading chapter in TOEFL , I usually scored above 80% correctly.

unfortunately, it was below 60% for SAT-1, GMAT was 50% as it had palanty as well.

It is depending on the complicity as well.General rule is as possible as you read, read and read that opens your brain how fast you can grasp on the topics--it has no alternative.

That is why best policy is read enjoyable items, like News paper, Mag or what you like in English. My favorite subject was all sorts of mag---News Week, Time, Economist, Fortune, Asia Week, Far Eastern Economic review, Executive digest etc from University level.

It could have reached to me a good reader. I never think any unknown words halt me for awhile.
_________________
Quazi,(47) an educationist, writer, thinker,& humanist for over 30 years.
Minhajquazi

Location: Dhaka

How can I increase the speed of my reading? #17 (permalink) Sun Jun 17, 2012 20:12 pm   How can I increase the speed of my reading?

Dear Shanthisethuruama,
Thank you for your suggestion. I would like to apologize for a delayed reply and point out that the techniques which you apply in reading a text depends thoroughly on your purpose. when you are getting prepared for a test like IELS , Tofel, CPE or CAE, time is also as important as comprehension. It's no use paying attention to difficult and new words while your time has run out and you haven't even covered the whole questions. Here comes scanning and skimming techniques which enable you to get the specific ideas and information or get the gist of the text respectively.
Best wishes,
Fariba
Fariba Effort

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
How can I increase the speed of my reading? #18 (permalink) Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:49 am   How can I increase the speed of my reading?

Thank you for your suggestions which is most welcome by all on the ETN.
If you want to cover the whole test questions, you have to attend the questions
which you know very well and then you can concentrate on difficult questions which you will take more time to find out answer, this way you can save your time for attending unknown questions/difficult questions/all questions answers.. If your answer is wrongly sometimes it will lead to negative marks. When you prepare for CAE exam
first try to learn how to attend hard questions/prepare for hard questions so that
you will not find difficult in fast reading the questions, you will feel like all questions
are easy for you to attend. Repetition of model papers will solve your problems.

Thank you

S.Shanthi
_________________
If you want Excellence,You must aim at perfection in our work.
Shanthisethuraman

How can I increase the speed of my reading? #19 (permalink) Mon Jun 18, 2012 14:17 pm   How can I increase the speed of my reading?

Dear Shanthi,
Your quick response is highly appreciated. Thank you once again for your suggestions.
Best wishes,
Fariba
Fariba Effort

How can I increase the speed of my reading? #20 (permalink) Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:38 pm   How can I increase the speed of my reading?

Fariba Effort wrote:
Hi over-fatigued Dwarf,
Why are you so much exhausted, perhaps you are tired of lifting up a lot of weights...

The LearnedOwl wrote:

Hello Ms Farima

I must say, your ideas are superior and almost complete. You really stole my thunder! But even an eagle needs the Push.

The eagle gently coaxed her offspring toward the edge of the nest.
Her heart quivered with conflicting emotions as she felt their resistance
to her persistent nudging.
"Why does the thrill of soaring
have to begin with the fear of falling?" she thought.

This ageless question was still unanswered for her.
As in the tradition of the species,
her nest was located high upon the shelf of sheer rock face.
Below there was nothing but air
to support the wings of each child.

"Is it possible that this time it will not work?" she thought.

Despite her fears, the eagle knew, it was time.
Her parental mission was all but complete.
There remained one final task... The Push.

The eagle drew courage from an innate wisdom.
Until her children discovered their wings
there was no purpose for their lives.
Until they learned how to soar,
they would fail to understand the privilege it was
to have been born an eagle.

The Push was the greatest gift she had to offer.
It was her supreme act of love.
And so, one by one, she Pushed Them..
And They Flew.

The Push sometimes we need it,
sometimes we need to give it.

This stirring peace of writing was created by David McNally
and whose mind, that only l know,
was inspired by manitou, who lives together all along with eagle.

Carry on!
tu-whit tu-whoo, uhuu

With regards to your question:
The overfatigued dwarf had to work all the night long very hard like a donkey and so he's tired. Since his nature's more like a lark than an owl, he was two times more fatigued than a normal dwarf.

_________________
Less is more!
EvilDwarf

Location: I'm diagonally parked in a parralel universe

How can I increase the speed of my reading? #21 (permalink) Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:24 am   How can I increase the speed of my reading?

Hi dear Dwarf,
Sorry for a late reply, I was awfully busy. Why do you think I've stolen your thunder?
To say the truth I was really impressed with the story by David McNally. The prose has artistically depicted the paradox of the eagle's love and hesitation to endanger her offspring, I enjoyed it so much. Thank you once again, It's quite novel to quote a beautiful written work. If I find something valuable, I will post it on forum too.

Moreover think exist.com is a wonderful site. It's got precious quotations, as usual your post is always informative. Thank you for this nice and gentle push.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Best wishes,
Fariba
Fariba Effort

How can I increase the speed of my reading? #22 (permalink) Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:51 am   How can I increase the speed of my reading?

Have you ever read "Alan's" essays/Lessons on the forum, it will definitely improve
your reading/writing skill on the forum. As I am not an liter.student I am not aware of your books and novels.

Thank you

S.Shanthi
_________________
Shanthisethuraman

How can I increase the speed of my reading? #23 (permalink) Mon Jun 25, 2012 19:44 pm   How can I increase the speed of my reading?

Hi dear Shanti,
Thank you for your suggestions.
Fariba
Fariba Effort

Goto page Previous  1, 2
A women's rights advocateBasics of EnglishHow to live to the fullest?Conducive to, the phrase I learned from the Iron Lady.I wanna say some thing about flowersRain!Conflict managementWhat are the worst countries regarding to Human trafficking?We would eat pig shit.My StoryI need netive speaker's help.How can I increase the speed of my reading?How to deal with the bullies.