annoying; irritating
vital
ordinary
adequate
bothersome

How can I increase the speed of my reading?

My teacher says it's impolite to say. | What do you think of 'poverty in the world'?
How can I increase the speed of my reading? #1 (permalink) Tue Jun 05, 2012 19:30 pm   How can I increase the speed of my reading?

Hi everybody,
I'm getting prepared to take CAE examination (certificate of advance English) from Cambridge University in September. But since I'm not a fast reader, unfortunately I can't cover the whole reading materials and answer the tests in the specified time. How can I improve my reading?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Fariba
Fariba Effort

How can I increase the speed of my reading? #2 (permalink) Wed Jun 06, 2012 15:21 pm   How can I increase the speed of my reading?

Read it on a bullet train.

kind regards.
Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
How can I increase the speed of my reading? #3 (permalink) Wed Jun 06, 2012 19:47 pm   How can I increase the speed of my reading?

Dear Mr. kyaw Min Lwin,
If I could increase the speed of my reading, I hadn't asked this question. Reading fast in a foreign language with the maximum comprehension is a skill and is obtained by both practice and special techniques.

Fariba
Fariba Effort

How can I increase the speed of my reading? #4 (permalink) Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:37 am   How can I increase the speed of my reading?

Yeah,

You know the answer ?

And my teacher says - skim,scan, scan and read, read content words, find subjects ,verb and objects, absolve the main theme, etc., .

If it's useful for you.

Oh, your writing skill is really good, far better than me. Cheers.

All the best.

And still, don't forget to read it on a speedy vehicle. For it can escape gravity which drags your grey matter down.
Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin

How can I increase the speed of my reading? #5 (permalink) Thu Jun 07, 2012 18:36 pm   How can I increase the speed of my reading?

And still, don't forget to read it on a speedy vehicle. For it can escape gravity which drags your grey matter down.[/quote]

Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin .................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
This is a respectful web site which aims to improve English knowledge of people around the world. Please watch out your language. I think you need more a train to carry your long surname.
Love
Fariba
Fariba Effort

How can I increase the speed of my reading? #6 (permalink) Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:05 am   How can I increase the speed of my reading?

Sorry about my long name. It's just a useless train name.

You should say it Respectable, my teacher says.

re·spect·a·ble/riˈspektəbəl/
Adjective:

1. Regarded by society to be good, proper, or correct.
2. (of a person's appearance, clothes, or behavior) Decent or presentable.

Synonyms:
reputable - honorable - honourable - venerable - decent

re·spect·ful/riˈspektfəl/
Adjective:
Feeling or showing deference and respect.
Synonyms:
deferential - reverent - courteous - polite - regardful

kind regards.
Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin

How can I increase the speed of my reading? #7 (permalink) Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:51 am   How can I increase the speed of my reading?

Fariba Effort wrote:
Love
Fariba

Hello Fariba
Don't take him too serious. He's just a Burmese, who hasn't a iota of an idea what a bullet train is. He just knows camels and lamas. But he's trying to tell you that humour is very helpful to ameliorate your reading skills. But it's very difficult to understand, especially the speech of savage satire. But he isn't at all a supercilious oaf.
Here some useful tips:
Your settings on your computer should be only in English and try to use an American keyboard. By the way, that is of great profit at all.
The remaining time until your exam might be too short for that but the advice learning typing with ten fingers is worth of giving a try. I had done it before I knew this side and now I can type in English better than in my mother tongue.
Look for a smashing webside and become a subscriber in order to get every morning an email in real English.
Copy a well written text of a book you like word by word in your best handwriting.
Use an English only dictionary. Of course, you can peep in a bilingual dictionary at times.
Learn vocabularies in a context like "to spend time honing my reading skills" and create your own tests so that you have to put down the phrase completely, not only by click. And take the tests per chance, not in a fixed range.
Last but not least two important things.
If you take the tests here on ETN e.g. then don't just run through it trying to do as much as possible. Read the question, or the sentence that is to fill in out loud well stressed so that you can understand your own speech. Adult illiterates that learn to read and write often do it in this way too. I always read an English text loudly.
Be patient and loose the "wrong and false" attitude. If you can take the tests here off the cuff reaching a score of more the 50% correct solutions, your skill is already very good.
Good luck!
_________________
Less is more!
EvilDwarf

Location: I'm diagonally parked in a parralel universe

How can I increase the speed of my reading? #8 (permalink) Fri Jun 08, 2012 15:31 pm   How can I increase the speed of my reading?

Hi Evil Dwarf,
Thank you very much indeed for your useful advice. I'm too much interested to receive regular emails from an English web site to improve my reading but except English test.net I don't know any. I should be delighted if you name some of them. Moreover I appreciate your sympathy about his savage satire, don't worry I don't mind.

By the way your style of writing and also vocabulary choice are excellent.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Fariba
Fariba Effort

How can I increase the speed of my reading? #9 (permalink) Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:18 am   How can I increase the speed of my reading?

Wotcha!
Thank you, the same to you. And I hope I won't loose (or lose?) it. Of course, I know the difference between "to lose" and "to be loose" but that's the way the cookie crumbles. I even know a very good phrase to memorise this problem. "Don't play fast and loose with me, it will come thick and fast for you."
When you become a subscriber for some email newsletters, the provider only want you to buy something and they don't know that you're an English learner. Often you get some links and you have to make out what this is all about. I'm a good sportsman, a racing cyclist, and so I get, almost every day, the newsletter from a famous coach of American Football or better say, his son. Today he want me to buy a jump rope.
Do you know what means "Macaroni Defense"? The language of stock market is plain English, but correct and very well educated. If you become a Motley Fool, you can listen to excellent plain English in a weekly podcast for nothing, even with the transcript. All this is than called "Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL)".
Ahoi and have fun with waxing your reading skills.
_________________
Less is more!
EvilDwarf

How can I increase the speed of my reading? #10 (permalink) Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:26 am   How can I increase the speed of my reading?

Hello Dear Dwarf,

What took you so long to come rescue me. Next time don't walk , run.

Still too slow , you should take a bullet train as well.

kind regards.
Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin

How can I increase the speed of my reading? #11 (permalink) Sat Jun 09, 2012 14:32 pm   How can I increase the speed of my reading?

Dear Adorable Rascal Dwarf,

It is too generous of you to dub my writings as Savage Sat ire . I can't even write any proper kind of English for three complete sentences.

And in terms of bullet train we have many trains which carry loads of bullets together with goats, cows, chickens and bed bugs.

kind regards.
Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin

How can I increase the speed of my reading? #12 (permalink) Mon Jun 11, 2012 19:50 pm   How can I increase the speed of my reading?

Hi Dwarf,
Sorry for a late reply, in fact I was terribly busy. Thank you so much for the web sites which you introduced me.
I think we have many things in common. You are very energetic and hard working. Not everybody makes so much effort in memorizing difficult vocabularies and advising the other people. I'm pleased to hear that you are also an athlete.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Fariba
Fariba Effort

How can I increase the speed of my reading? #13 (permalink) Tue Jun 12, 2012 15:20 pm   How can I increase the speed of my reading?

"Fatigue is the best pillow." Benjamin Franklin

The OverfatiguedDwarf wrote:
... but I cannot sleep Mr Franklin. I abhor slaving away the whole night. I'm a lark not an owl and used to getting up very early in the morning.

Fariba wrote:
Hi Dwarf,
Hope to hear from you soon.
Fariba

The OverfatiguedDwarf wrote:
No prob at all! I know the very best how hard it may be to impress your thoughts in a correct and lovely way. That's a tall order and takes time. Nobody likes dropping a clanger.
But it's not altruism that makes me so keen on sharing my ideas of learning English with all those links. I just use Mr Alan's memory for free. That means the gigantic material on this side but as well as the storage on the webserver. It may become a kind of diary, which I can use sporadic and so can you.

TTFN Fariba
_________________
Less is more!
EvilDwarf

How can I increase the speed of my reading? #14 (permalink) Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:55 am   How can I increase the speed of my reading?

Hi over-fatigued Dwarf,
Why are you so much exhausted, perhaps you are tired of lifting up a lot of weights.
Altruism or a sporadic diary, whatever is your intention, it helps me increase my vocabulary and it's highly appreciated.
Moreover I came across a text about how to be an active reader, it suggested some useful tips which I would like to mention for anybody who is eager to read as fast as a bullet train:
1- Find time to read every day regularly.
2- Use clues in the text to make predictions (use the title, subtitle, pictures as a hint)
3- Think about a proper reading technique (skimming or scanning)
4- Try not to move your eyes back over a text. Just reread part of a text only when you have a specific purpose.
5- Try not to translate
6- Read in phrases rather than word by word.
7- Avoid sub-vocalization (quietly saying the words as you read)
8- Don't worry about understanding every word
9- Read as much as you can

Dear friends any suggestion about being an influent reader is welcomed.
Fariba
Fariba Effort

How can I increase the speed of my reading? #15 (permalink) Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:25 am   How can I increase the speed of my reading?

To increase fast reading you should concentrate on reading the subject by noting
key points it will enable you to explain/write better. Without understanding properly
if you read fast, it will not help for writing exams. If you attend the class properly,
you will not find difficult in reading. as the points have been explained by your professor. Listening the class is better than reading a book I feel.

You should know to note down the important key words/hard words for your practice.
you should know to precis the reading so that you can easily eleborate the same
when you need.

Thank you

S.Shanthi
_________________
If you want Excellence,You must aim at perfection in our work.
Shanthisethuraman

A women's rights advocateBasics of EnglishHow to live to the fullest?Conducive to, the phrase I learned from the Iron Lady.I wanna say some thing about flowersRain!Conflict managementWhat are the worst countries regarding to Human trafficking?We would eat pig shit.My StoryI need netive speaker's help.How can I increase the speed of my reading?, page 2How to deal with the bullies.