beginning letter of a person's first name; first letter (as of a word)
fix
initial
director
anchor

What does fetch mean?

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

antiphonal singing or duet? | It's very hot: It's scorching
What does fetch mean? #1 (permalink) Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:32 am   What does fetch mean?

Test No. incompl/elem-3 "Drive carefully", question 5

When your train arrives, I'll ......... you from the station.

(a) take
(b) bring
(c) fetch
(d) remove

Test No. incompl/elem-3 "Drive carefully", answer 5

When your train arrives, I'll fetch you from the station.

Correct answer: (c) fetch

When your train arrives, I'll bring you from the station.
_________________________

What does fetch means?

Janna
Janna

Fetch means collect and bring back #2 (permalink) Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:52 am   Fetch means collect and bring back

Hi Janna,

When you fetch somebody from the station you collect them from there. That means, you drive to the station, collect the person and you drive back home together.

Please, note the question:

What does fetch mean?

TOEIC listening, talks: Airport employee is announcing flight delays through loudspeaker system

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
What does fetch mean? #3 (permalink) Mon May 09, 2005 12:56 pm   What does fetch mean?

fetch is like pick up??

Pick up or fetch? #4 (permalink) Mon May 09, 2005 13:18 pm   Pick up or fetch?

Fetch and pick up can mean the same thing. For example:

Can you pick me up from the airport?
Can you fetch me from the airport?

TOEIC listening, photographs: Getting water

What does fetch mean? #5 (permalink) Sat Nov 19, 2005 14:47 pm   What does fetch mean?

how is about the difference between "take" and "fetch"?

Can you take me to there?
Can you fetch me to there?

Are they alright?
Nina

Location: Viet Nam

Difference between take and fetch #6 (permalink) Sat Nov 19, 2005 14:52 pm   Difference between take and fetch

Hi Nina,

You can take somebody to a place and fetch somebody from a place.

For example, if your friend arrives at the airport you can fetch them from the airport. This means you drive to the airport where you meet them and take them home.

If your friend wants to go abroad you can take them to the airport. This means you collect them at home and drive them to the airport where they depart.

TOEIC listening, question-response: What's the matter with the photocopier?

What does fetch mean? #7 (permalink) Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:35 am   What does fetch mean?

Thank you, Torsten. :)
Nina

Location: Viet Nam

Bring vs fetch #8 (permalink) Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:22 am   Bring vs fetch

hi
the difference b/w fetch and bring is still not clear to me
abhishek

Bring/fetch #9 (permalink) Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:03 am   Bring/fetch

Hi abhishek,

Bring is one action as in: Bring your book with you next time you visit me. This means when you come to see me, you will have your book with you.

Fetch has three actions: If you arrive at my house and you haven't got the book with you because you've left it in your car, you say: Wait a minute and I'll fetch the book, which means I'll go away, get the book from the car and bring it back to you.

_________________

What does fetch mean? #10 (permalink) Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:01 pm   What does fetch mean?

Thanks Alan :)
abhishek

What does fetch mean? #11 (permalink) Mon May 07, 2007 21:21 pm   What does fetch mean?

Thank everyone for teaching me what fetch means correctly
Sunhoek

What does fetch mean? #12 (permalink) Wed Mar 26, 2008 13:17 pm   What does fetch mean?

Are there any special cases where I should not use "fetch"
Udaykiranb

What does fetch mean? #13 (permalink) Wed Mar 26, 2008 13:19 pm   What does fetch mean?

You can use the verb fetch in combination with many different nouns. Do you have a particular phrase in mind?

TOEIC short conversations: Two friends meeting at the subway talking about transport options.

What does fetch mean? #14 (permalink) Wed Mar 26, 2008 15:52 pm   What does fetch mean?

udaykiranb wrote:
Well, in American English we don't use 'fetch' very much. The most common usage of the word 'fetch' in AmE is probably as a command that you give a dog! In other words, if you are playing with your dog and you throw a ball, you might then say "Fetch!" to the dog. "Fetch!" is a command to a dog to go and get something and bring it back to you.

In AmE, we generally do not 'fetch' or 'collect' people at an airport or anywhere else. We usually 'pick (someone) up'.
.
_________________

What does fetch mean? #15 (permalink) Wed Mar 26, 2008 16:15 pm   What does fetch mean?

Hi.

'Pick someone up from the station' is common parlance in my remote island, too. 'Fetch' is perhaps showing its age a bit in that use but I would have thought it would stand up anywhere to describe an action as here: Wait a moment. I haven't got the book here, it's upstairs. I'll just go and fetch it.

_________________

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Urgent need.It's about nounsIs there such an expression?Tip into recessionHe's looking for two pucks, what's he looking for exactly?I can lend you some money until the end of the monthWatercolor pen?How to email college admissions officeAgreement and Disgreement.What is the difference between "end" and "end up"?'which of the names' vs. 'what of the names''it is not impossible' vs. "there's a possibility"What does it mean: ingredientsWhat is the difference between "be afraid of" and "have fear"