to gauge; to quantify; to assess; to evaluate; to estimate
measure
specialize
precede
earn

The World as I See it

A droplet the size of a BB? | 'in a rush and swamped'?
The World as I See it #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:39 pm   The World as I See it

Hello

I just read an essay " THE WORLD AS I SEE IT" by A. Einstein and I would request you to simplify the given lines for me.

" It was the experience of mystery---------even if mixed with fear-----that engendered religion. A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, our perceptions of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which only in their most primitive forms are accessible to our minds: it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute true religiosity. In this sense, and only in this sense, I am a deeply religious man...

Thanks in advance

The World as I See it #2 (permalink) Mon Jun 05, 2006 15:33 pm   The World as I See it

Hi Tom
"request"may be a bit to much rude for some people
Police may request to check a car or your papers but
a student should say something closer to asking.
Regards
Jan
Profesor Einstein was the extremly wiseman and full of respect for anything
unpenetrable or undiscover yet.
He was explaining that way his attitute towards God and religion.(I guess)
no name

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
The World as I See it #3 (permalink) Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:31 am   The World as I See it

Dear Amy

Do you disapprove of this question too? :D :?

Yours ever

Einstein #4 (permalink) Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:55 am   Einstein

Hi Tom,

Don't worry about your use of the word request. We know you well enough that you would never be rude. Could you please explain the following is another way of asking.

Back to Einstein. He is explaining, as I understand it, that whereas some people believe in a formal religion together with rituals and ceremonies, he accepts the idea that religion is really based on a belief of something beyond (outside) human understanding - something that can't be easily explained. To him that's what constitutes (makes) religion and in that sense he is very religious.

_________________

Thanks a lot, Alan #5 (permalink) Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:54 am   Thanks a lot, Alan

Dear Alan

Thanks a lot for both explanations. :D

Your explantion was very helpful. I just need a bit of light shed on one line.

" our perceptions of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty,"

Einstein #6 (permalink) Tue Jun 06, 2006 13:44 pm   Einstein

Hi Tom,

You wanted an explanation of this - a bit of a mouthful!

our perceptions of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty,"

Our understanding of very deep thoughts and very beautiful objects

Best I can do

_________________

The World as I See it #7 (permalink) Tue Jun 06, 2006 16:54 pm   The World as I See it

Hi Tom

If you read more of Einstein's quotes, I think you'll understand what he means better. He spoke pretty often about how he sees religion.

What I understand:

Einstein was a scientist. His efforts (and often his inability) to fully explain natural laws brought him to a point where he decided that there must be some kind of superior spirit or presence with profound logic and extreme beauty. And we humans can understand and perceive only a very tiny bit of this superior logic and beauty. This was Einstein's personal definition of religion.

_________________

The World as I See it #8 (permalink) Tue Jun 06, 2006 18:27 pm   The World as I See it

Thanks a lot Alan
Thanks a lot Amy

Definition of 'P&L effect'?Niece or nephewKeep something in perspectiveExpression: Many a time20 seconds flat!Expression: Wit has truth in it:What is the difference between "grey" and "gray"?Expression: Fork and knifeWhen use have been?How should I call a new house without any decorations?What is the difference between 'leave work' and 'leave from work'Quote: Imagine if you...Television or The television