route; travel plans; travel journal
itinerary
achievement
response
plant

Expression: A weird combination

Expression: As a night pass... | Sentence structure + impersonal construction
Expression: A weird combination #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:53 pm   Expression: A weird combination

A story I recenly read started like this.

" He knew his chances of survival were the merest. The fire had spread throughout and the roaring flames were approaching him like hungry mad wolves, ready to relish his body. The atmosphere was getting stuffier by the second.The thick smoke almost blinded him and his reason. Not knowing what to do he remained in his place, frozen. A weird combination!The very thought of his plans dying prematurely was very painful."

Q1- Is the use of " the merest " correct?
Q2- Throughout what?????(second line)
Q3- What is " A WEIRD COMBINATION?"
Q4- What is : the very thought"?
Q5- I think there should be a comma after " not knowing what to do," What do you think?

A lot of thanks in advance

Expression: A weird combination #2 (permalink) Mon Jun 05, 2006 13:37 pm   Expression: A weird combination

Q1- Is the use of " the merest " correct? --> Somewhat unusual, but I'd say OK.

Q2- Throughout what?????(second line) --> throughout the place/building where he is.

Q3- What is " A WEIRD COMBINATION?" --> "fire" and "frozen"

Q4- What is : the very thought"? --> "Just thinking about the fact that..."

Q5- I think there should be a comma after " not knowing what to do," --> Yes, you could put a comma there (I probably would have), but English tends to be fairly flexible with its commas and if the sentence is understandable without a comma, it can sometimes be omitted.

_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
How should I call a new house without any decorations?What is the difference between 'leave work' and 'leave from work'Further and more!Quote: Imagine if you...Television or The televisionPlant: The queen of nightDifference; Application and formal letterDifferences between CFR, CPT, DAF and DDP and its menaingParts of SpeechFunctions of GerundFunctions of InfinitiveExpression: "You don't say!"Do a double take