rare object
warning
collectible
capability
issue

My teacher says it's impolite to say.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Interrogation | How can I increase the speed of my reading?
My teacher says it's impolite to say. #1 (permalink) Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:34 am   My teacher says it's impolite to say.

My teacher says it's impolite to say-

1. Will you please..
Say Would you mind.. or Could you..

2. Toilet
Say Lavatory

3. Mama
Say Mother.

But I don't know , he must me kidding.

kind regards.
Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin

My teacher says it's impolite to say. #2 (permalink) Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:57 am   My teacher says it's impolite to say.

I would like to know some words and phrases that native British won't use in public.

I don't mean the swears words. I don't need them. I need normal words or phrases you think not polite to use in public.

For example , my British teacher asked her friend how much was the bill, what's the damage? before they paid for me. ( But I knew what they said as I had read the phrase in Hornby's. )

And her friend said Wishy woshy after tasting the soup.

I'd like this kind of diplomatic usage of English.

Just curious,

kind regards.
Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Re: My teacher says it's impolite to say. #3 (permalink) Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:32 am   Re: My teacher says it's impolite to say.

Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin wrote:
My teacher says it's impolite to say-

1. Will you please..
Say Would you mind.. or Could you..

2. Toilet
Say Lavatory

3. Mama
Say Mother.

But I don't know , he must me kidding.

kind regards.

Perhaps he is being a little too stringent about the rules of society. Like so many things, this is all context dependent.

In the finest company, I would use 'ladies' (room) or, if there were unisex toilets, 'bathroom' (even if it didn't include a bath) rather than 'toilet' or 'lavatory'. In everyday usage, I would have no problem with using 'toilet'. I would not consider it impolite in any standard situation.

Use of 'mama, mother, mum, etc. is very dependent on region. Again, I see nothing impolite about any of them, though 'mama' tends to be used only by very young children.

As for 'will you please...' it really depends on how it is said. It can be used politely or impolitely. It tends to have a more brusque air about it than 'would you mind' though.
_________________

My teacher says it's impolite to say. #4 (permalink) Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:40 am   My teacher says it's impolite to say.

Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin wrote:

Just curious,

kind regards.

I can't think of any, but perhaps I'm unclear about what you are asking, because this seems to be a contradiction:
won't use in public
diplomatic usage of English

As I've mentioned above, this is all context dependent. Someone using the phrase, 'wishy-washy' (note the spelling) is not necessarily being impolite. It depends on who they are speaking to and what the entire situation is. If I were visiting someone who had worked hard preparing a meal for me, I would consider it impolite to complain that the soup was 'wishy-washy'. However, if I were in a restaurant and had paid for the meal. I would expect a certain standard of food and service, and if I were asked for my opinion about the soup, then I would have no problem describing it as 'wishy washy'... so here is a situation which seems to be the opposite of your question. In this scenario 'wishy-washy' is more acceptable in public than in private.
_________________

My teacher says it's impolite to say. #5 (permalink) Sat Jun 09, 2012 14:16 pm   My teacher says it's impolite to say.

Thank you very much Beees, even from your above explanations I can learn a lot of British English. For which I believe you gave a lot of your precious time,

And my teacher says it is posh to use 'one instead of 'I, in some context. Is he right?

kind regards.
Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin

My teacher says it's impolite to say. #6 (permalink) Sat Jun 09, 2012 16:15 pm   My teacher says it's impolite to say.

Your teacher is correct about that... though one would not use it in everyday conversation unless one were someone very aristocratic. :)
_________________

My teacher says it's impolite to say. #7 (permalink) Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:51 am   My teacher says it's impolite to say.

Thank you very much Beees,

I have to be aristocratic sometimes, even I'm not the one, to beat the newly born ari store cats.

kind regards.
Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin

My teacher says it's impolite to say. #8 (permalink) Mon Jun 11, 2012 20:05 pm   My teacher says it's impolite to say.

Hi Beeesneees,
I didn't get the meaning of wishy-washy. Could you please explain it for me.
Fariba
Fariba Effort

My teacher says it's impolite to say. #9 (permalink) Mon Jun 11, 2012 20:38 pm   My teacher says it's impolite to say.

http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/wishywashy

When speaking about soup, it means watery.
_________________

My teacher says it's impolite to say. #10 (permalink) Mon Jun 11, 2012 20:59 pm   My teacher says it's impolite to say.

Dear Ms. Beees,
Thank you for your quick answer.
Fariba
Fariba Effort

My teacher says it's impolite to say. #11 (permalink) Sat Jun 16, 2012 15:58 pm   My teacher says it's impolite to say.

And my teacher says it is posh to say- Elevator rather than Lift?

But I don't know?

It would be funny enough to ask someone in the Elevator of A Hilton 'you wouldn't know where the lavatory is, would you? Cool/ Swell/ Awesome/Splendid/Super/Fantastic/Marvelous/Great/Superb!

kind regards.
Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin

My teacher says it's impolite to say. #12 (permalink) Sat Jun 16, 2012 16:25 pm   My teacher says it's impolite to say.

Mr. Kyaw!

I think you have forgotten that in your Oxford dictionary, you would find out your questions some answers, like would/could expression with some extra pages much precisely than you expect.

_________________
Quazi,(47) an educationist, writer, thinker,& humanist for over 30 years.
Minhajquazi

Location: Dhaka

My teacher says it's impolite to say. #13 (permalink) Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:35 am   My teacher says it's impolite to say.

Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin wrote:

In the UK they say "lift".
In the US they say "elevator".

I take it your teacher is British.
_________________

My teacher says it's impolite to say. #14 (permalink) Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:36 am   My teacher says it's impolite to say.

Dear Ewe,

Thank you, I know some British and American words . Like mobile and cell.

I mean she says it is more posh to say elevator. Don't you think so?

I'm a bit curious cos I have my students at my end. I don't want to misinform or mislead them.

So you native British experts are my sole saviors. I don't use American English which I think wishy washy. ( My reckless opinion only. )

kind regards.

Oh, my teachers? They come from Oxford and Cambridge. Does it sound British to you now?
Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin

My teacher says it's impolite to say. #15 (permalink) Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:40 am   My teacher says it's impolite to say.

Oh I just recall I fought with you from the start when I first got into the ETN. Do you remember that?

Here I'm still aggressive? Fighting is fun.

kind regards.
Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Basics of EnglishHow to live to the fullest?Conducive to, the phrase I learned from the Iron Lady.I wanna say some thing about flowersRain!What do you think of 'poverty in the world'?Conflict managementWhat are the worst countries regarding to Human trafficking?We would eat pig shit.My StoryI need netive speaker's help.My another Hero, Jose MourinhoMy teacher says it's impolite to say., page 4