supplementary; auxiliary; secondary; lesser in importance
dismal
domestic
subsidiary
pervasive

english mature exam,

TOEIC Practice tests Increase your TOEIC test score with
3420 flash cards plus an ESL book
ESL Forum | Preparation forum for the TOEIC® Test
how can i get the good mark in the TOEIC® test | The series uncovers a unique group of artists.
english mature exam, #1 (permalink) Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:57 pm   english mature exam,

Hello, english speaker and learner.
How are you doing on these days?
How is your English going on?
I just wanted to know what kind of exercises may i have at my mature english exam? Just curious.
Altin_Guberi

Location: Polis, Albania

english mature exam, #2 (permalink) Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:51 am   english mature exam,

Hello english-test.net teachers!
I'm taking some TOEIC listening (part III-short business conversation). And there are 2 sentences which I do not understand fully.
1. I can't get a signal with my cell phone. << I've just about had it with this cell company >>. Does the 2nd sentence means the person just get the service from the cell company or she/he just has dealed with this problem the 1st time at the cell company?
2.Good luck fighting the mob ? What does this idioms mean ?
Could please you explain more about the 2 situations above. Thanks in advance
I'm looking forward to your reply.
Best regards,
Dang My
Dang My

Location: Hcmc, Vietnam

TOEIC Test Preparation — Increase your Score with 684 free TOEIC Vocabulary TestsTOEIC Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEIC scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEIC Grammar Exercises — Improve your English grammar and vocabulary skillsEvaluate and certifiy your business communication skills with TOEIC — TOEIC Certification
english mature exam, #3 (permalink) Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:32 am   english mature exam,

1. I've just about had it with... = I am fed up with this situation and it is likely that unless it changes very soon I will be looking for another company to do business with.

2. That does not look like an idiom to me, but a standard expression. What is the context please?
_________________

Re: english mature exam, #4 (permalink) Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:00 am   Re: english mature exam,

sir i am just join this course
so please guide me how i will improve my Engish very well
Neelam Jaiswal

Location: Pune

english mature exam, #5 (permalink) Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:53 am   english mature exam,

The 2nd situation is. The woman is going to get in line for a big sale. And her neighbour knows that and says 'good luck fighting the mob !
Thanks for your explanation!
My Dang
Dang My

Location: Hcmc, Vietnam

english mature exam, #6 (permalink) Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:16 am   english mature exam,

mob - crowd of people.
The woman describes it as a fight because often in crowds it is difficult to get to what you want. People have a tendency to push forward, jostling and nudging. This is often described as 'fighting'.
_________________

english mature exam, #7 (permalink) Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:21 am   english mature exam,

Hi teacher,
I'm just wondering why Good luck fighting the mob but not Good luck fighting with the mob ?
Best regards,
Dang My
Dang My

Location: Hcmc, Vietnam

english mature exam, #8 (permalink) Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:12 am   english mature exam,

'With' is optional there, but it is not usual to use it in that phrase.
_________________

english mature exam, #9 (permalink) Wed Jul 04, 2012 17:21 pm   english mature exam,

Dear teacher,
I have several questions regarding to listening tests (TOEIC- short business conversations - part iii)
1- Here is the situation: a man wanted to pay his purchase with debit card and he asked to receive cash back. I'm just wondering if debit card works like credit card which the shop would deduct the exact amount he need to pay from... If yes then how could he want any cash back ? (I never use debit card)
2- 2nd context: hotel reservation
customer: yes i'd like to make a reservation for 3 nights and 4 days, please, from the 21st through the 24th
hotel clerk: all right. Single or double occupancy ? and would you like a regular room or a suit ?
customer: a regular double please. And would it be possible to get one with an ocean view?
hotel clerk: I'm afraid all our regular double view rooms are booked for those dates. We do have one double view suite suitable. Those cost $50 a night more than regular rooms.
The multiquestion:
what will the man probably do next ?
a) purchase an airline ticket.
b)book a regular double room
c)ask the price of a double view suite
d)thank the woman and hang up.
I chose (d) for the most suitable answer but your system shows (C)
Just do not understand why the man would want to ask about price again while the woman have already mentioned in the conversation. Please make this point clearer.
3- < I booked our suite last month to take our partners to tonight's game > What does suite mean in this case ? Tried to check up the dictionary but still not understand fully ....
Thanks a lot for your reply.
Best wishes.
Dang My
Dang My

Location: Hcmc, Vietnam

english mature exam, #10 (permalink) Wed Jul 04, 2012 19:50 pm   english mature exam,

1. 'Cashback' is a service which is sometimes offered when you pay by debit card (where the money comes directly out of your account). It allows people to get additional cash when they make a purchase, which is then drawn out of their bank account. I use it a lot when I do my main shopping - it saves me making cash withdrawals at a bank or cashpoint. Here's an example to explain how it works:
- I buy goods totalling £22 and pay with my debit card.
- The shop assistant asks if I want cashback and I say I would like £10 please.
- The shop assistant charges £32 to my debit card (so £32 comes straight out of my bank account and is paid to the shop).
- I receive goods to the value of £22 and £10 'change' in cash (totalling the £32 I just paid), which I can take with me to spend elsewhere.

2. At this point the man only knows a suite of rooms costs $50 a night more than a standard double room. He does not know the price of either yet. He is likely to want to know the price before he makes his final decision.

3. A hotel suite is a set of rooms. A standard room is typically a bedroom and en suite bathroom. A suite of rooms is typically a lounge (possibly with a bed settee or roll-out under sofa bed), a bedroom and an en suite bathroom.
_________________

english mature exam, #11 (permalink) Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:06 am   english mature exam,

Dear Teacher,
I got your answers... Thank you so much for your clear explanations.
Just one more thing regarding to the 3rd situation:
If ' suite ' referred to football ticket then is it a set of tickets ?
Cheers
Dang My
Dang My

Location: Hcmc, Vietnam

english mature exam, #12 (permalink) Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:53 am   english mature exam,

The term 'suite' does not refer to a football ticket.

A suite is a set of rooms.
It can also refer to a set of room fixtures (for example, bathroom suite — the bath, shower, basin, toilet) or furniture (for example, dining suite — a dining table and chairs; three piece suite — in BrE that is the name for a matching sofa and chairs).
In specialist terms, it could refer to a set of music comprising a number of pieces (for example, Holst's Planet Suite) or a set of related computer applications (for example, a suite of office software).
_________________

ESL Forum | Preparation forum for the TOEIC® Test All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Latest topics on TOEIC Test Forums
I am new, some help please!!!simulation and exam mode tests of TOEIC®the two last plans/ the last two plansTOEIC® Reading Part VIIToeic® Listening skill ?Hi, where to find an IELTS example?How can I get 495 in reading?Please value my essay and give me the score out of 10[Ask] Why this web don't provide Error RecognitionQuestion about the TOEIC® testHow come I wasn't told about the plan?my toeic® b1 scores. need help by admin mod and all members plz.toeic® b1 help required