to feel; to perceive; to apprehend; to understand
hide
lose
host
sense

Jeans and a T. shirt

The PM is to give a speech | When use have been?
Jeans and a T. shirt #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 05, 2006 21:52 pm   Jeans and a T. shirt

Which one of the following sentences is correct?

1- She likes to wear jeans and T.shirt.
2- She likes to wear jeans and a T.shirt.

Jeans and a T. shirt #2 (permalink) Mon Jun 05, 2006 23:33 pm   Jeans and a T. shirt

.
Both are fine. T-shirt and tee shirt are the accepted spellings.

This is Cambridge's sample sentence: He wore a T-shirt and jeans.
.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Universal dress code? #3 (permalink) Mon Jun 05, 2006 23:46 pm   Universal dress code?

The second sentence is correct and means that she likes to wear jeans together with a T-shirt:

She likes to wear jeans and a T-shirt.

The first one would also be right if you write T-shirt in the plural form. This means that she doesn't necessarily wear them together:

She likes to wear jeans and T-shirts.

Jeans and a T. shirt #4 (permalink) Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:39 am   Jeans and a T. shirt

.
Sorry-- I have to disagree, Conchita. 'Jeans and T-shirt' is an ensemble all too popular these days. I see nothing unnatural or ungrammatical about any of these alternatives:

She likes to wear jeans and a T-shirt.
She likes to wear jeans and T-shirt.
She likes to wear jeans and T-shirts
.
.
_________________

Jeans and a T. shirt #5 (permalink) Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:26 am   Jeans and a T. shirt

Dear Amy

Please give your opinion about the same.

Jeans and a T. shirt #6 (permalink) Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:33 am   Jeans and a T. shirt

Hi Tom

I don't think there's always a 100% answer for everything in English, Tom. But this is my personal opinion:

1. She likes to wear jeans and a T-shirt. --> most common way to describe a kind of outfit she likes to wear.

2. She likes to wear jeans and T-shirt. --> Same as (1), but more unusual. Without the word "a", I'd probably be more likely to create a sentence such as this: She likes the jeans and T-shirt look.

3. She likes to wear jeans and T-shirts. --> I agree with Conchita, but I can also imagine this sentence might be used to mean the same as (1).

4. Now, just to add to the confusion :lol:, I'd like to point out that if the present continuous is used, and assuming that she only has one T-shirt on, I'd probably ONLY say "jeans and a T-shirt" --- never (3)!
She's wearing jeans and a T-shirt.

:D ;) :D
_________________

Jeans and... #7 (permalink) Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:52 am   Jeans and...

I'd like to address the topic. Are we not getting our knickers in a twist about this? If I continue with the thread, I hope no-one will feel cut up about it or get the needle. I simply can't button up about it. Isn't it a case of describing or itemising? As: Dress code is shirt and tie - He is wearing a shirt and (a) tie.

_________________

From 'jeans and a T-shirt' to 'knickers in a twist' #8 (permalink) Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:08 am   From 'jeans and a T-shirt' to 'knickers in a twist'

Are we not getting our knickers in a twist about this?

:lol:
For the life of me, Alan, I can't imagine you getting your knickers in a twist -- literally, that is!

Wait a minute! I am visualising something now... oh, dear, where's the off button?

Keep something in perspective20 seconds flat!Expression: Wit has truth in it:A droplet the size of a BB?'in a rush and swamped'?Expression: Fork and knifeHow should I call a new house without any decorations?What is the difference between 'leave work' and 'leave from work'Further and more!Quote: Imagine if you...Television or The televisionPlant: The queen of nightThe World as I See it