Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to move quickly; to pass quickly
fleet
weigh
target
emulate
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Quote: Imagine if you...

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
What is the difference between 'leave work' and 'leave from work' | Television or The television
listening exercises
Quote: Imagine if you... #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 05, 2006 22:24 pm   Quote: Imagine if you...

Hi,

I just read a quote in Reader's Digest, October 2001 and I need you people's help to understand it. Please explain it to me.

" Imagine if you succeeded in making the world perfect for your children what a shock the rest of life would be for them."

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Quote: Imagine if you... #2 (permalink) Mon Jun 05, 2006 23:37 pm   Quote: Imagine if you...

What is perfect in the eyes of a child is not necessarily very satisfying in the eyes of an adult.

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Real life #3 (permalink) Tue Jun 06, 2006 0:09 am   Real life

Mister Micawber's interpretation is interesting.

There's something parents often say, which might also be an alternative way of understanding the sentence:

If you make life too cosy for your children, they might be less prepared for the 'real world'.
Conchita
Language Coach

Quote: Imagine if you... #4 (permalink) Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:41 am   Quote: Imagine if you...

I like Conchita's better. The concept of a 'shock' I couldn't fit in to my interpretation very well.

What is the difference between 'leave work' and 'leave from work' | Television or The television
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
A droplet the size of a BB?'in a rush and swamped'?When use have been?How should I call a new house without any decorations?Further and more!Jeans and a T. shirtPlant: The queen of nightExpression: A weird combinationSentence structure + impersonal constructionThe World as I See itDifference; Application and formal letterExpression: As a night pass...Meaning of: 'I think that I'm picking at the right...'