Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

person of higher rank; older person; elder
floor
relationship
cognition
senior
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

I don't know what time they'll be back this evening...

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of "their side for certain cervical levels"? | Why "I am visiting"?
listening exercises
I don't know what time they'll be back this evening... #1 (permalink) Thu Jun 08, 2006 14:37 pm   I don't know what time they'll be back this evening...

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #203 "Prepositions of Time and Date (1)", question 3

I don't know what time they'll be back ......... this evening, if at all. It all depends on the road conditions today.

(a) for
(b) in
(c) (none)

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #203 "Prepositions of Time and Date (1)", answer 3

I don't know what time they'll be back this evening, if at all. It all depends on the road conditions today.

Correct answer: (c) (none)

Your answer was: incorrect
I don't know what time they'll be back in this evening, if at all. It all depends on the road conditions today.

Why can't we write like this:
I don't know what time they'll be back in this evening, if at all. It all depends on the road conditions today.

why should we not use a preposition here.

Thanks,

Pavan
Pavans

Why should we not use a preposition here? #2 (permalink) Sun Jun 11, 2006 16:58 pm   Why should we not use a preposition here?

Hi Pavan

You can say in the morning, in the afternoon, in the evening.

However, when you use the word this, then you cannot use the word in:
We're going to a party this evening.

Amy

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
I don't know what time they'll be back this evening... #3 (permalink) Tue Oct 19, 2010 17:32 pm   I don't know what time they'll be back this evening...

can we use at with home as a preposition
Mujahidkhan

I don't know what time they'll be back this evening... #4 (permalink) Tue Oct 19, 2010 22:57 pm   I don't know what time they'll be back this evening...

"At home" would be considered correct if used. When you add "at home" to the sentence in that spot, you are specifying where "back" is ("they'll be back" (where?) "at home").

Otherwise, where "back" is could be anywhere, which is why it is inappropriate for you to use the word "in". Using the word "in" means you are assuming that the sentence means "in the house, in the hotel, etc" when the person in question could be coming back to a party outdoors, a concert, etc.

Now, if this sentence was in context--as in, you are writing an essay, story, etc.--with a paragraph concerning someone not being home or whatever, it would be perfectly fine English. Rules change anyway when writing dialog within a story, essay, etc. Just understand that with a grammar or English test you cannot assume anything.
Kissy

if at all #5 (permalink) Thu May 23, 2013 11:38 am   if at all

Hello,
I'd like to ask about the meaning of 'if at all' in the sentence. Does it mean 'if they actually come back'?
Many thanks
Joncat

I don't know what time they'll be back this evening... #6 (permalink) Thu May 23, 2013 11:42 am   I don't know what time they'll be back this evening...

Yes, it does.

TOEIC listening, talks: Giving a weather update and forecast on a private radio station
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Meaning of "their side for certain cervical levels"? | Why "I am visiting"?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
preposition at/on/in in the example How I got that jobOut on bail?is it correct?worse vs. the worstHis driving scares me a lot.f you choose a bold color for your walls, you should choose some, soft, neutral..Not Mark, though -- he truly loves peopleWhen I get the wrong answer I want you show, and when I choose the right answerdifference between leave and departUsage quit instead of leaveIs "WAS" an intransitive verb here?Surely vs. safelyCome in for vs. come into