to try to; to assay
exist
attempt
publicize
provision

Can't be 1970 while its 1980... so why we used what?

Why we didn't use DID instead? | Meaning of prescription
Can't be 1970 while its 1980... so why we used what? #1 (permalink) Fri Jun 09, 2006 20:14 pm   Can't be 1970 while its 1980... so why we used what?

ESL/EFL Test #93 "Why Questions", question 10

......... year did the first commercial aviation flight take place?

(a) When
(b) What
(c) Where
(d) Which

ESL/EFL Test #93 "Why Questions", answer 10

What year did the first commercial aviation flight take place?

Correct answer: (b) What

Which year did the first commercial aviation flight take place?
_________________________

In the "english teacher explanation" earlier, you distinguished between what and which as follows;
we use which, when the option is more than 1,2 or 3.
we use what for many options...
In this question the year is one option. can't be 1970 while its 1980... so why we used what?
Thanx ;)

Niveen (Palestine)
Niveen (Palestine)

Can't be 1970 while its 1980... so why we used what? #2 (permalink) Sun Jun 11, 2006 13:01 pm   Can't be 1970 while its 1980... so why we used what?

Hi Niveen

Even though there is only one correct answer, there is an unlimited number of possible options (years) to choose from in the question.

If the question had included a small number of specific possible choices, then you could have used "which". For example:

a. 1920
b. 1940
c. 1960

In the test question there were no specific choices for the year included; the options were unlimited (many) and "which" is not possible in that case.

_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Idiom: until the cows come homeMeaning of 'IRS form'Meaning of 'dressing down'?Difference between bandits and thievesDifference in using way and mannerHow to use rise and raise?Meaning of trialingExpression: carried out an exhaustive searchWhy do we use roar because the girl might cry?More easier vs. easierWhy is "must admit to being" gramatically right?Meaning of "had a cow"Meaning of "ago"