rivalry; contest; act of competing against another
competition
edge
access
definition

Why is "must admit to being" gramatically right?

Meaning of "had a cow" | How to use rise and raise?
Why is "must admit to being" gramatically right? #1 (permalink) Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:03 am   Why is "must admit to being" gramatically right?

ESL/EFL Test #85 "Verbal Skills Test", question 5

I know you trust him but I have my doubts about him and must admit to being ......... of him.

(a) suspect
(b) suspecting
(c) suspicious
(d) suspected

ESL/EFL Test #85 "Verbal Skills Test", answer 5

I know you trust him but I have my doubts about him and must admit to being suspicious of him.

Correct answer: (c) suspicious
_________________________

why is "must admit to being" gramatically right?

Torkoin
Torkoin

Why is "must admit to being" gramatically right? #2 (permalink) Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:25 am   Why is "must admit to being" gramatically right?

I assume your basic question is why the word "being" (instead of "be") is correct.

The reason is that the word "to" is a preposition in this sentence and you need a gerund (the -ing form) after a prepostion. It is similar to the phrasal verb "look forward to":
"I look forward to seeing you."

Coming back to the test sentence, it is also possible to omit the prepositon "to" after the word "admit":
"I admit being suspicious of him."

(But it is not possible to omit "to" in the phrasal verb "look forward to")

_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of 'dressing down'?Difference between bandits and thievesMeaning of trialingExpression: carried out an exhaustive searchMeaning of prescriptionWhy do we use roar because the girl might cry?Why we didn't use DID instead?Can't be 1970 while its 1980... so why we used what?Meaning of "ago"I am confused with BUT and ORThe word "people"Worth considering and worth of consideration"It's time" + subjunctive