comfortable; useful; serviceable
convenient
inanimate
minimum
fine

Why do we use roar because the girl might cry?

Meaning of prescription | Difference between bandits and thieves
Why do we use roar because the girl might cry? #1 (permalink) Sat Jun 10, 2006 18:15 pm   Why do we use roar because the girl might cry?

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #124 "Synonyms for speak and shout", question 10

The little girl ......... out in pain when the dentist pulled out her tooth.

(a) roared
(b) hollered
(c) exclaimed
(d) cried

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #124 "Synonyms for speak and shout", answer 10

The little girl cried out in pain when the dentist pulled out her tooth.

Correct answer: (d) cried

The little girl roared out in pain when the dentist pulled out her tooth.
_________________________

why do we use roar because the girl might cry?

Simpson
Simpson

Why do we use roar because the girl might cry? #2 (permalink) Sun Jun 11, 2006 15:18 pm   Why do we use roar because the girl might cry?

Hi Simpson

Personally, I think I also would have chosen cried as the correct answer for this sentence (since "cry out" is a much more common collocation than "roar out"). :lol:

Roaring would be much more extreme/loud than crying. And if you've ever experienced severe tooth pain at the hands of a dentist, I guess you can well imagine that a roar might result. So, the idea of "roaring" is very appropriate. However, if I were to use the verb roar in this sentence, I'd probably omit the word out. i.e., roar in pain.

It is also possible to say roar out in pain, but that is much more unusual.

_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Why we use 'on' because I thing 'in' is also rightPossessive pronoun itsIdiom: until the cows come homeMeaning of 'IRS form'Meaning of 'dressing down'?Difference in using way and mannerHow to use rise and raise?Meaning of trialingExpression: carried out an exhaustive searchMore easier vs. easierWhy is "must admit to being" gramatically right?Why we didn't use DID instead?Can't be 1970 while its 1980... so why we used what?