Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

of great worth; costly; cherished; dear; important
valuable
fraudulent
downtown
practical
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Usage of "going to" | Are you sure about that?
listening exercises
Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:58 am   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #60 "Chit Chat: In the theatre", question 9

Alice: He was really good in that. Oh look, he's suddenly stopped and started ..........

(a) glaring
(b) glazing
(c) glancing
(d) glossing

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #60 "Chit Chat: In the theatre", answer 9

Alice: He was really good in that. Oh look, he's suddenly stopped and started glaring.

Correct answer: (a) glaring

Your answer was: incorrect
Alice: He was really good in that. Oh look, he's suddenly stopped and started glazing.

what does started glaring mean

Bashar
Bashar

Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #2 (permalink) Mon Jun 12, 2006 14:25 pm   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

It means to look attentively without taking the eyes away from ...
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #3 (permalink) Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:54 am   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

what the different among the 4 choices??
Lisa_Mard
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #4 (permalink) Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:26 am   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

Is the 'glazing' the synonim to 'staring' in this sentence or it has a little bit different inflection?

Thanks!
Romashka

Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #5 (permalink) Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:09 am   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

Hi Romashka,

'Glaze' is a word meaning putting glass in. We use this to describe windows that have a space between two panels of glass: double glazing.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #6 (permalink) Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:07 am   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

Thank you Alan,
I have just realized that I had made a mistake, I wanted to compare 'glaring' and 'staring' :)
Romashka

Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #7 (permalink) Fri Dec 18, 2009 15:38 pm   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

Hi Teachers

Does 'glare' have a touch of anger as opposed to 'stare' as in:
He glared at him accusingly.

Thanks
Ali
Aliraf62
You can meet me at english-test.net

Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #8 (permalink) Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:02 am   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

I didn't understand the meaning of "glaring" yet. Can you give more information
Lourdes
You can meet me at english-test.net

Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #9 (permalink) Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:00 am   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

Hollo,

Is the "glare" includes the anger? What's the difference between glare and gaze?
Puppet
I'm here quite often ;-)

Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #10 (permalink) Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:10 am   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

Hi,

'Glare at someone' suggests that you look at someone in a very angry way as in: She glared at him because he had made fun of her in front of her friends. 'Gaze at' has the sense of looking at someone/something with a feeling of respect or wonder as in: They got out of the car to gaze at the sight of the sun setting, which had never looked so beautiful.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #11 (permalink) Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:24 am   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

Hi,

Thank you so much.
Puppet
I'm here quite often ;-)

Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #12 (permalink) Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:09 am   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

Great explanation... Thanks.. ^_^
Coozee

Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #13 (permalink) Sun Jul 11, 2010 15:12 pm   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

Dera Alen,
Does 'glaring' mean staring in angry manner in this test?
Sincerely yours
Mitra

Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #14 (permalink) Sun Jul 11, 2010 15:52 pm   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

Yes, Mitra. It does.
Language Coach

Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #15 (permalink) Sun Jul 11, 2010 16:07 pm   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

Hi Mitra,

'Glare at someone' suggests that you look at someone in a very angry way as in: She glared at him because he had made fun of her in front of her friends.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Usage of "going to" | Are you sure about that?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Different strokes for different folksdeep pockets and short armsCorrect my paragraph pleasegrammarthe youngest child.in stockWhy don't you play with your sister?down colddead eventhe mother of the bride weptthe die is castHis devil-may-care attitudelike a deer in the headlights