of great worth; costly; cherished; dear; important
valuable
fraudulent
downtown
practical

Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

Usage of "going to" | Are you sure about that?
Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:58 am   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

ESL/EFL Test #60 "Chit Chat: In the theatre", question 9

Alice: He was really good in that. Oh look, he's suddenly stopped and started ..........

(a) glaring
(b) glazing
(c) glancing
(d) glossing

ESL/EFL Test #60 "Chit Chat: In the theatre", answer 9

Alice: He was really good in that. Oh look, he's suddenly stopped and started glaring.

Correct answer: (a) glaring

Alice: He was really good in that. Oh look, he's suddenly stopped and started glazing.
_________________________

what does started glaring mean

Bashar
Bashar

Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #2 (permalink) Mon Jun 12, 2006 14:25 pm   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

It means to look attentively without taking the eyes away from ...
Pamela

Location: RF

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #3 (permalink) Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:54 am   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

what the different among the 4 choices??
Lisa_Mard

Location: Indonesia

Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #4 (permalink) Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:26 am   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

Is the 'glazing' the synonim to 'staring' in this sentence or it has a little bit different inflection?

Thanks!
Romashka

Location: Russia, Moscow

Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #5 (permalink) Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:09 am   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

Hi Romashka,

'Glaze' is a word meaning putting glass in. We use this to describe windows that have a space between two panels of glass: double glazing.

_________________

Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #6 (permalink) Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:07 am   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

Thank you Alan,
I have just realized that I had made a mistake, I wanted to compare 'glaring' and 'staring' :)
Romashka

Location: Russia, Moscow

Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #7 (permalink) Fri Dec 18, 2009 15:38 pm   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

Hi Teachers

Does 'glare' have a touch of anger as opposed to 'stare' as in:
He glared at him accusingly.

Ali
Aliraf62

Location: Sweden

Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #8 (permalink) Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:02 am   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

I didn't understand the meaning of "glaring" yet. Can you give more information
Lourdes

Location: Guatemala

Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #9 (permalink) Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:00 am   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

Hollo,

Is the "glare" includes the anger? What's the difference between glare and gaze?
Puppet

Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #10 (permalink) Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:10 am   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

'Glare at someone' suggests that you look at someone in a very angry way as in: She glared at him because he had made fun of her in front of her friends. 'Gaze at' has the sense of looking at someone/something with a feeling of respect or wonder as in: They got out of the car to gaze at the sight of the sun setting, which had never looked so beautiful.

_________________

Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #11 (permalink) Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:24 am   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

Thank you so much.
Puppet

Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #12 (permalink) Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:09 am   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

Great explanation... Thanks.. ^_^
Coozee

Location: Indonesia

Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #13 (permalink) Sun Jul 11, 2010 15:12 pm   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

Dera Alen,
Does 'glaring' mean staring in angry manner in this test?
Sincerely yours
Mitra
_________________
Peace&Love
Mitra584

Location: Iran

Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #14 (permalink) Sun Jul 11, 2010 15:52 pm   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

Yes, Mitra. It does.
_________________

Meaning of 'she started glaring'? #15 (permalink) Sun Jul 11, 2010 16:07 pm   Meaning of 'she started glaring'?

Hi Mitra,

'Glare at someone' suggests that you look at someone in a very angry way as in: She glared at him because he had made fun of her in front of her friends.

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

Different strokes for different folksdeep pockets and short armsCorrect my paragraph pleasegrammarthe youngest child.in stockWhy don't you play with your sister?down colddead eventhe mother of the bride weptthe die is castHis devil-may-care attitudelike a deer in the headlights