irregular; fitful; occasional; infrequent
outdoor
sporadic
mental
reverse

What do you think of 'poverty in the world'?

How can I increase the speed of my reading? | Move it or Lose it!
What do you think of 'poverty in the world'? #1 (permalink) Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:26 am   What do you think of 'poverty in the world'?

A couple of days ago I came upon World bank front page. They state that their main goal is fighting with 'poverty in the world'. I started wandering about that.
What are the main reasons of poverty, especially in the poorest countries?
Probably if there wouldn't be rich countries there wouldn't be poor countries too. The poor countries wouldn't simply know that they are poor.
What do you think of that?
Alehro

Location: Russia

What do you think of 'poverty in the world'? #2 (permalink) Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:57 am   What do you think of 'poverty in the world'?

I wonder what so called billionaires would say?

Their answers could be, Who cares?

kind regards.
Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
What do you think of 'poverty in the world'? #3 (permalink) Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:36 am   What do you think of 'poverty in the world'?

Speaking about billionaires is another huge topic, but we could think that the World Bank is one of the biggest representations of rich peoples who cares.
I purposely don't want to collect more detailed information, as long as I have something to write here.
I don't even know what methods they use to achieve the goal. When I heard the news occasionally before this moment, I didn't pay attention to news about such organizations. Just another 'Reconstruction bank', 'Union of countries' etc. has thrown another huge bunch of money to nowhere. Why should I care. Indeed, may be it isn't worth attention... until you need to talk about something.

Now then, what typical budget items of World Bank? I suppose several variants.
1. Improving political systems. Changing state regimes.
2. Healthcare programs.
3. Educational programs.
4. Ecological programs. Although I do not know any direct connection of ecologic with poverty.

I'm near to exhaustion of my knowledge of that topic. Does anybody want to help me continue?

P.S. wandering/wondering another homophones pair, which additionally have kind of similar meaning.
Alehro

Location: Russia

What do you think of 'poverty in the world'? #4 (permalink) Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:41 am   What do you think of 'poverty in the world'?

"Wondering" and "wandering" are not homophones unless you have a Russian accent. "Wondering" is correctly pronounced [wʌndərɪŋ] (something like уындъеринг), and "wandering" is pronounced [wandərɪŋ] (something like уандъеринг).

The Peruvian economist Hernando de Soto (who has helped some poor countries improve their economic systems) and many other economists would say that there are a few simple factors involved in what makes some countries rich and some countries poor.

1. Rich countries protect personal property rights.
2. Rich countries have reasonably predictable rule of law.

3. Poor countries don't protect personal property rights.
4. Poor countries don't have strong rule of law. (Or as some Iraqis I know in the US would explain it, "In the West, the law is stronger than individuals, but in the Third World, some individuals are stronger than the law.

The reason property rights are important is this: If the law and courts protect the right to your property, you can use it as collateral for a business loan. The business loan allows you to expand production or sales and spread your business beyond your own neighborhood. Rule of law ensures better that people can be prosecuted for fraud, non-payment of bills, etc., and that people can't get arrested and imprisoned for no reason. This makes it possible to do business reliably with strangers, which means there is no limit to your business expansion. Since businesses can expand more easily, and transactions are more reliable, more jobs are created for people, and everyone is economically better off -- even the poor are richer.

Where property rights and rule of law are absent, people are poor. If the government or just some local official can take your property away at any time for any reason, it's impossible to use it for loan collateral. If you can't get the loan, you can't expand your business. If there is no rule of law, anyone can cheat you any way he wants to, and the courts won't support you. Therefore business people can't deal with strangers and have to limit their transactions to a small circle of people they personally know and trust. Since there is no business expansion, no jobs are created, and the people remain poor.

Recently I read that an industrial revolution started in 10th-century China. Iron producers were finding more efficient ways to smelt iron, and they were pouring their profits into development and expanding their operations. They employed a lot of people. However, the Mandarins found out about this, realized that other people were getting rich, and they shut it all down. No one could oppose the Mandarins, so people who had those jobs ended up poor again.

You probably know of cases like this in Russia, where someone becomes so successful that government officials have him arrested. I've read about situations in China where a successful business owner is arrested on false charges, and his business is given to some government official's relative. In the early 1990s, every time an entrepreneur became successful in one particular Balkan country (which shall remain nameless), he was arrested for "falsification of documents". (While other East European countries are getting richer, that country is still poor, and it is reported that a third to a half of its population has emigrated.) This kind of unpredictable, overreaching government and lack of property rights and law enforcement make for a poor nation.

What do you think of 'poverty in the world'? #5 (permalink) Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:57 am   What do you think of 'poverty in the world'?

Alehro wrote:

As Jamie has said they sound very different to a native speaker, although I'm a non-native speaker and I sometimes confuse them too.
Here are some minimal pairs I can think of that stress the difference:

Buss - boss
But - bot
Cut - cot
Nut - not/knot
Slut - slot (a funny one!)
Rut - rot

etc.

Here are a few videos that help understand the difference:

_________________

What do you think of 'poverty in the world'? #6 (permalink) Sun Jun 24, 2012 13:36 pm   What do you think of 'poverty in the world'?

The woman in the "Rachel's English" videos has a regional accent. Notice that for "jaw" she says [dʒa] and not the standard [dʒɔ].

What do you think of 'poverty in the world'? #7 (permalink) Mon Jun 25, 2012 22:02 pm   What do you think of 'poverty in the world'?

OK, OK guys, you killed me by thoughtful explanations of 'wandering/wondering'. Thank you, I will keep them in mind.
Firstly, when I'm saying that it's a homophones it's just my private term to memorize these words better.
Secondly, if I instead of
P.S. wandering/wondering another homophones pair...

wrote something like
P.S. wandering/wondering another pair of words which are very similar...

it wouldn't look so cute
Thirdly, usually I use Google Translate to check pronunciation. It hasn't transcriptions. And the main difference in sounding of these words is stress: w`ondering/wander`ing. I feel like I can use the same transcription for both of them, but make them sound correctly just by moving the stress.

Now about the main topic. In general I agree with Hernando de Soto's factors. Also I think that the laws should not only protect personal property rights to be successfull.
Speaking about Russia. The main problems in Russia are corruption and bureaucracy. It's a bureaucracy who steals in most cases. They steal from the state. And they steal from citizens in acts of corruption. In this way, the two factors work well for Russia. However Russia isn't truly poor country. By example: the Human Development Index in Russia is 'high', almost 'very high'; GDP per capita is above ten thousands dollars.

I'm going to continue about poverty next time.
Alehro

Location: Russia

What do you think of 'poverty in the world'? #8 (permalink) Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:19 am   What do you think of 'poverty in the world'?

"Wondering" and "wandering" both have stress on the first syllable, Alehro. There's no difference in the stress.

Stunning Passive VoicesA women's rights advocateBasics of EnglishHow to live to the fullest?Conducive to, the phrase I learned from the Iron Lady.I wanna say some thing about flowersRain!Conflict managementWhat are the worst countries regarding to Human trafficking?We would eat pig shit.My StoryI need netive speaker's help.My teacher says it's impolite to say.