conversational; not used in formal speaking or writing; informal
colloquial
quarter
brokered
preventive

Meaning of "backseat driver"

Meaning of "accrued sick leave hours" | Meaning of "kick up a fuss"
Meaning of "backseat driver" #1 (permalink) Wed Jun 14, 2006 20:11 pm   Meaning of "backseat driver"

ESL/EFL Test #68 "Back Again", question 4

He's having trouble with his mother-in-law because she likes to control everything rather like a backseat ..........

(a) conductor
(b) driver
(c) doer
(d) goer

ESL/EFL Test #68 "Back Again", answer 4

He's having trouble with his mother-in-law because she likes to control everything rather like a backseat driver.

Correct answer: (b) driver
_________________________

dear teacher can u explaine to me what it mean?

Dolores
Dolores

Meaning of "backseat driver" #2 (permalink) Wed Jun 14, 2006 22:04 pm   Meaning of "backseat driver"

A backseat driver is an annoying passenger in a car who is criticizing the driver or telling the driver what to do --- although the driver is probably driving just fine. ;)

_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Meaning of "fishy"Glared vs. glimpsedAgatha didn't have a happy marriage vs. Agatha isn't have...Why "keep up" and not "upkeep"?Meaning of "worth"Difference between adjust and accommodateMeaning of "see eye to eye"'simple past passive' vs. 'present perfect passive'Meaning of acceptMeaning of yellMeaning of toothpickWhy is this correct? (good credit report)Meaning of melt