person who owns and operates a food store
overhead
grocer
feasibility
import

'simple past passive' vs. 'present perfect passive'

Why is this correct? (good credit report) | Meaning of "see eye to eye"
'simple past passive' vs. 'present perfect passive' #1 (permalink) Thu Jun 15, 2006 13:27 pm   'simple past passive' vs. 'present perfect passive'

ESL/EFL Test #118 "Passive Tense Forms", question 1

The castle ......... built in the 15th century.

(a) was
(b) is
(c) has been
(d) will be

ESL/EFL Test #118 "Passive Tense Forms", answer 1

The castle was built in the 15th century.

Correct answer: (a) was

The castle has been built in the 15th century.
_________________________

Can you explain why not use "has been"

JJ
JJ

'simple past passive' vs. 'present perfect passive' #2 (permalink) Thu Jun 15, 2006 13:52 pm   'simple past passive' vs. 'present perfect passive'

.
The building is well in the past, over and done with. A simple statement of a completed event.
.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
'simple past passive' vs. 'present perfect passive' #3 (permalink) Thu Jun 15, 2006 13:59 pm   'simple past passive' vs. 'present perfect passive'

Hi JJ

You need the past tense to talk about the finished past.

Was built is the passive form of the simple past tense and the finished time is clearly stated in the sentence (in the 15th century).

Has been built is the passive form of the present perfect tense and the present perfect is not appropriate because the sentence mentions a specific time in the finished past.

_________________

Meaning of "tenant"Meaning of "fishy"Glared vs. glimpsedMeaning of "priories right""about the future" vs. "in the future"Agatha didn't have a happy marriage vs. Agatha isn't have...Why "keep up" and not "upkeep"?Meaning of "worth"Difference between adjust and accommodateMeaning of "kick up a fuss"Meaning of "backseat driver"Meaning of acceptMeaning of yell