under legal obligation; responsible; prone
subject
liable
fraught
ostentatious

The development of tooth paste began as long ago

Wish | It was theories that led
The development of tooth paste began as long ago #1 (permalink) Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:21 am   The development of tooth paste began as long ago

The development of tooth paste began as long ago as 3000/5000 BC in the ancient countries of China and India.
Is the above sentence correct?
Duet062010

Location: Duet

The development of tooth paste began as long ago #2 (permalink) Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:09 pm   The development of tooth paste began as long ago

"toothpaste" is normally one word.

I would prefer to say "in ancient China and India".

I would prefer to write "30005000 BC". "3000/5000 BC" tend to looks like there are two discrete options, 3000 BC and 5000 BC, which clearly can't be what was meant.
Dozy

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
The development of tooth paste began as long ago #3 (permalink) Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:14 pm   The development of tooth paste began as long ago

I also feel awkward with "countries of china and India".

I feel wrongness with this part. Is it really wrong?
Duet062010

Location: Duet

The development of tooth paste began as long ago #4 (permalink) Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:19 pm   The development of tooth paste began as long ago

"the countries of China and India" is OK in itself. The reason I prefer "in ancient China and India" to "in the ancient countries of China and India" is because, to me, the latter seems to suggest that the countries "India" and "China" literally existed in 30005000 BC.
Dozy

Wish | It was theories that led
Orville and Wilbur flew together onlyThatThe first passengerThey were the first toWhen their test flights did not produceControlled, powered flight seemed impossibleat/on 3 we jump!was told a lotIn your view toPlease help on possessionBefore vs AlreadyYoung-younger-youngestfuddy-duddy