impressive; inspiring; great; frightening
even
awesome
eligible
bothersome

Why is it incorrect: to face the uncertainties of the ocean?

Would the words 'to meet' and 'who work' be written separately in each case? | Hands vs. paws
Why is it incorrect: to face the uncertainties of the ocean? #1 (permalink) Sat Jun 17, 2006 18:52 pm   Why is it incorrect: to face the uncertainties of the ocean?

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #117 "Synonyms for threat and danger", question 2

This was Brian's first voyage as a sailor and he was not sure if he was ready to face the ......... of the ocean.

(a) adventures
(b) uncertainties
(c) perils
(d) crisis

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #117 "Synonyms for threat and danger", answer 2

This was Brian's first voyage as a sailor and he was not sure if he was ready to face the perils of the ocean.

Correct answer: (c) perils

This was Brian's first voyage as a sailor and he was not sure if he was ready to face the uncertainties of the ocean.
_________________________

why is it not correct to say "ready to face the uncertainties of the ocean"?
When do we use peril, threat, danger, risk? please explain?

Pavan
Pavan

Why is it incorrect: to face the uncertainties of the ocean? #2 (permalink) Sat Jun 17, 2006 19:44 pm   Why is it incorrect: to face the uncertainties of the ocean?

Hi Pavan

In my opinion, you could also say "uncertainties of the ocean." I wouldn't consider that wrong.

-- BUT --

A much more typical collocation is perils of the ocean.

And even more typical than that would be perils of the sea.

You can often find typical collocations in a good dictionary, i.e., sentences or phrases using the word you've looked up.

Doing a lot of reading is also helps in getting a good feel for words that are often "partners".

_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Why is it incorrect: to face the uncertainties of the ocean? #3 (permalink) Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:00 am   Why is it incorrect: to face the uncertainties of the ocean?

What is the difference in the usage of
Danger, peril, jeopardy
Ajay Nahta

Why is it incorrect: to face the uncertainties of the ocean? #4 (permalink) Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:39 am   Why is it incorrect: to face the uncertainties of the ocean?

Have you looked up those words in a dictionary, Ajay?

TOEIC listening, photographs: Two jogging women

Why is it incorrect: to face the uncertainties of the ocean? #5 (permalink) Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:00 am   Why is it incorrect: to face the uncertainties of the ocean?

Ok I'll do that.
Ajay Nahta

Meaning of 'chip chop'?take off: remove fromTest incompl/advan-665, User's Answer 10machines that can do twice the work using only half of the energy amountclean out the guttersDrapes are window coverings that hang from horizontal rods that are placed above.What does this expression mean: it comes down to?What does foresee mean?'I didn't employ my name' vs 'I didn't use my name'meaning of drainMeaning of retainPeople don't vs. people doesn'tMeaning of "Intoxicating" is "alcoholic"