conversation; speech; lecture; meeting
secret
talk
victim
briefcase

What does this phrasal verb mean: "go over"?

throw off the scent/track | on the wagon
What does this phrasal verb mean: "go over"? #1 (permalink) Mon Oct 25, 2004 19:34 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean: "go over"?

Test No. incompl/elem-22 "Weather Forecast", question 1

Now let's go ......... to our weather forecaster, Mary.

(a) on
(b) out
(c) over
(d) against

Test No. incompl/elem-22 "Weather Forecast", answer 1

Now let's go over to our weather forecaster, Mary.

Correct answer: (c) over

Now let's go on to our weather forecaster, Mary.
_________________________

What does it mean : let's go over: in this sentence
angelinala

Go over to #2 (permalink) Mon Oct 25, 2004 19:54 pm   Go over to

This means talk to/speak to.

_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Go over to? #3 (permalink) Fri Aug 05, 2005 22:41 pm   Go over to?

I can't understand this phrasal verb.
I have heard somwhere this phrasal verb. I think that it was on TV some time ago.
But I can't translate this phrase when I want to put into this sentence verbs to talk to or to speak to.

And does a verb "to go over" mean to change a topic of the news on TV, to go from one topic to another?

Best regard,
Simon
Simon

Location: Poland

Go over to #4 (permalink) Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:19 am   Go over to

Hi Simon,

You have to imagine in this test that this is a situation in a radio or tv studio and the presenter is now going to let the weather forecaster speak. I used the expression go over to and originally explained this in the October reply as speak/talk to. This means in effect that the presenter is transferring the connection to another speaker. Possibly you have watched television at the time of an important incident/event in the world and the television company has several reporters in different parts of the place where the incident occurred. The main presenter will then say: And let's go over to our reporter in the town centre/ And now let's go over to our reporter in a helicopter overlooking the town ...
Hope this helps.

_________________

Go over to #5 (permalink) Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:46 am   Go over to

Hi.
would you write down some sample about "go over"?
Miaozilong

Location: China

What does this phrasal verb mean: "go over"? #6 (permalink) Wed Feb 11, 2009 18:51 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean: "go over"?

you are really clever Alan
i'm satisfied with your explanation
thank you Alan
Wo.shi.xiangxiang

Location: indonesia, bandung

What does this phrasal verb mean: "go over"? #7 (permalink) Mon Mar 30, 2009 15:27 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean: "go over"?

Now let's go .over........ to our weather forecaster, Mary.

(a) on
(b) out
(c) over
(d) against

it correct or wrong gibe briefly example
Sajjad Rasvi

What does this phrasal verb mean: "go over"? #8 (permalink) Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:33 am   What does this phrasal verb mean: "go over"?

OK, go over means "speak to", my question is how can I use this phrase when I say: "Ok, let's go over the answers"
Lourdes

Location: Guatemala

What does this phrasal verb mean: "go over"? #9 (permalink) Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:20 am   What does this phrasal verb mean: "go over"?

Verbs plus prepositions or particles such as 'go over' can have several meanings. Let's make a distinction here. 'Let's go over to' suggests: Let us now move from here to our forecaster and talk to her. 'Let's go over' on its own suggests: Let's look again at something.

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

What does this phrasal verb mean: "go over"? #10 (permalink) Wed Oct 14, 2009 20:58 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean: "go over"?

Thank You, Alan,
your explanations are always so brief and substantial.
Marina (Ukraine)
Marina Khanova

Location: Ukraine

What does this phrasal verb mean: "go over"? #11 (permalink) Fri Jan 01, 2010 17:34 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean: "go over"?

Hi everybody,

go over to has another meaning ,which is to change to a new belief,religion etc.
Mzahed

Location: Tehran

What does this phrasal verb mean: "go over"? #12 (permalink) Sun Jan 24, 2010 23:25 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean: "go over"?

Hello Torsten,Alan
I just finished the test and I scored 7 out 10 1st time. In 2nd time I scored 10 out 10. I just want to say that your explanation is very helpful Alan.
Bye bye
Admira
_________________
To be or not to be ,that is the question.
Admira

Location: UK.Bexhill on sea

Explanation of the word 'go over ' #13 (permalink) Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:09 pm   Explanation of the word 'go over '

Dear Alan,

I did the test exercises regarding the weather forecasting.I got 9 out of 10 correctly.
I made the first wrong one by ticking the preposition 'on' after 'go'.In fact the right one is 'over' after 'go'.
I have been looking up 'go over ' 's meaning to be defined by you to Mr Simon.So I'm very much appreciated on your sensitively demanstration.
Anothing, I'd like to inform you that my posted messages on asking the senses of some words,but never have been replyed to.
I really hope you will find it and reply as soon as.

Savath
Sroth

Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia

What does this phrasal verb mean: "go over"? #14 (permalink) Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:45 am   What does this phrasal verb mean: "go over"?

why i can't use out...

why over ?
Vamsivikas

What does this phrasal verb mean: "go over"? #15 (permalink) Sun Apr 18, 2010 16:45 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean: "go over"?

Thanks. I understood :-D
Vutran

she is going to be mad at you to the nth degreeand hoped that he had the available funds to cover the transactionsroom onto our house on the shelf until we have more money in our savings accounton the shelf vs. on holdHe had a drinking problem for a while and is now on the wagonthe results were off the scalehe had an air-tight alibi and told him that he was off the hookJust the thought of eating fish made her flesh crawl.Meaning of the phrase "to signify expanding"?as mad as a badgerlowering one's sights from post graduate studies and doctoral workDoes to detest mean to hate?Use of "slip"