Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

firm; faithful; persistent; unbending; adamant
swift
sincere
superb
constant
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

'almost a concern' vs. 'fairly a concern'

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
When does the seminar begin? | "I'll" vs. "I've"
listening exercises
'almost a concern' vs. 'fairly a concern' #1 (permalink) Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:54 pm   'almost a concern' vs. 'fairly a concern'

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #87 "Present Simple (4)", question 6

It was a different sort of worry that was ......... a concern. He wants to see her again.

(a) exactly
(b) fairly
(c) usually
(d) almost

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #87 "Present Simple (4)", answer 6

It was a different sort of worry that was almost a concern. He wants to see her again.

Correct answer: (d) almost

Your answer was: incorrect
It was a different sort of worry that was fairly a concern. He wants to see her again.

why its almost and why cant it be fairly?

Halmas
Halmas

Fairly/almost #2 (permalink) Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:58 am   Fairly/almost

Almost has the sense of just not reaching something. You can use it with a verb: He almost succeeded in breaking the record but failed by three seconds. You can use it with a noun: It has become almost a problem.

Fairly has the sense of quite (not completely) and is usually used to qualify an adjective/adverb as in: You can complete this exercise fairly easily because the questions are fairly simple.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
'almost a concern' vs. 'fairly a concern' #3 (permalink) Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:17 pm   'almost a concern' vs. 'fairly a concern'

he failed by three seconds=it was lacking him three seconds to be a new champion?

thanks
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

'almost a concern' vs. 'fairly a concern' #4 (permalink) Sat Sep 08, 2012 14:46 pm   'almost a concern' vs. 'fairly a concern'

Why not exactly the concern?
Ajay Nahta
I'm here quite often ;-)

'almost a concern' vs. 'fairly a concern' #5 (permalink) Sat Sep 08, 2012 14:59 pm   'almost a concern' vs. 'fairly a concern'

The question reads 'a concern' not 'the concern'.
Even if you were to accept 'exactly the concern' (as a form of 'the specific concern), 'exactly' doesn't work with an indefinite article.
Language Coach

'almost a concern' vs. 'fairly a concern' #6 (permalink) Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:07 am   'almost a concern' vs. 'fairly a concern'

Beeesneees wrote:
The question reads 'a concern' not 'the concern'.
Even if you were to accept 'exactly the concern' (as a form of 'the specific concern), 'exactly' doesn't work with an indefinite article.

Thanks a lot
Ajay Nahta
I'm here quite often ;-)

When does the seminar begin? | "I'll" vs. "I've"
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
He goes to the woods by himself.You are driving me crazy!think vs. seemWhat is the difference between each and all?there aren't any leftThere have been fewer crimesa few orchids vs. few orchidsHe withdraws money from the bank every Tuesday.He is just standing there...The sun is shining.bought a computer last weekWhat is a vampire?She got off the bus