a response or alteration of responses, generally musical
zephyr
antiphon
resonance
hindrance

SATŪ and A-level exams as English proficiency tests

SAT Practice tests Increase your SAT test score with
plus 5.000 SAT word flash cards
ESL Forums | Preparation forum for the SATŪ Test
Sample satŪ test without registration | SATŪ Certificates
SAT and A-level exams as English proficiency tests #1 (permalink) Fri Jun 23, 2006 21:53 pm   SAT and A-level exams as English proficiency tests

Most of us are quite familiar with tests such as the TOEFL-test, the Cambridge examinations and the IELTS, which are designed to measure the English proficiency of people with English as a second or foreign language. But what about tests including language sections that are targeted for native speakers of English, such as the English section in the SAT exam or the English Language A-level? Could these tests be used in an ESL context? Why or why not?

I'd very much appreciate any opinions and comments that you may have concerning the topic.
Englishuser

SAT and A-level exams as English proficiency tests #2 (permalink) Sat Jun 24, 2006 19:25 pm   SAT and A-level exams as English proficiency tests

Those exams for native speakers are written to detect the language weaknesses of native speakers, which are different from those of non-native speakers. Plus, their placement scales assume that the student does not need ESL. Therefore, if you use them on non-native speakers, they usually don't place the student correctly.

At a college where I teach, we use the Compass test, which includes an English test for native speakers. Even if a foreigner knows no English and gets every question wrong on this test, it still places him in a class at a level meant for native speakers. Its ESL equivalent, ESL Compass, usually places foreign speakers of English accurately.

Both tests, however, have a cultural bias, and students with bad English but deep familiarity with American culture can score much higher than students whose English is excellent but who have only been here a few weeks.

SAT Test Preparation — Improve your Score with 1002 free SAT Vocabulary TestsSAT Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise SAT scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportSAT Practice Tests — Learn the most essential SAT vocabulary words you need to pass the SAT with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card system
ESL Forums | Preparation forum for the SATŪ Test All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Latest topics on SAT Test Forums
SATŪ Test informationIm very worried and i have taken the SATŪ test..!My SATŪ scores: Critical reading 630!HELP! I took the PSAT though this year...Should anyone find good SATŪ exam in online?Should I give SATŪ again?How can I prepare for the SATŪ exam?PSAT practice tests?Tips for the SATŪ?Am I in trouble? I'm about to take the SATII Chem.SATŪ Subject TestSATŪ: what has changed in 15 years?In about a month (May 7) I am going to take the SATs