Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

stimulus; motivation; revelation; insight; idea
fellow
sequence
inspiration
browser
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Difference between vision and view | Eying that waitress
listening exercises
What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom? #1 (permalink) Wed Oct 27, 2004 16:45 pm   What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom?

Test No. incompl/inter-56 "High and Low", question 2

I have high ......... that we will succeed with our project in view of all the interest we have received.

(a) feelings
(b) sensations
(c) hopes
(d) views

Test No. incompl/inter-56 "High and Low", answer 2

I have high hopes that we will succeed with our project in view of all the interest we have received.

Correct answer: (c) hopes

Your answer was: incorrect
I have high feelings that we will succeed with our project in view of all the interest we have received.

Why word feelings doesn't fit in here?
I'm here quite often ;-)

High hopes #2 (permalink) Wed Oct 27, 2004 18:17 pm   High hopes

Here hopes indicates the future as in the sentence 'we will succeed'.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom? #3 (permalink) Sat May 22, 2010 2:33 am   What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom?

I prefer feelings as answer because hope is never a plan.
Nabilchamlal
I'm here quite often ;-)

What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom? #4 (permalink) Sat May 22, 2010 8:27 am   What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom?

So you'd prefer an incorrect answer? That is your prerogative. However, it doesn't make it correct - it just serves to prove your inadequacies when it comes to English.

To have high hopes of something is an idiomatic phrase. It means to expect the best or to hope for success.
"Ben has high hopes for his son, including a university education."
Language Coach

What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom? #5 (permalink) Sat May 22, 2010 11:42 am   What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom?

Hi,

Talking of 'High Hopes' gives me a chance for a bit of self promotion.

http://www.english-test.net/lessons/11/index.html

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom? #6 (permalink) Sat May 22, 2010 12:03 pm   What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom?

Nabilchamlal wrote:
I prefer feelings as answer because hope is never a plan.

If you say "I have high feelings that we will succeed" you have coined your own phrase which nobody will use except for yourself. This is almost like creating a language that nobody understands. By the way, your explanation doesn't make any sense. What do you mean by 'hope is a never a plan'? Following your logic, 'feelings' are a plan while hope is not. I'd say all of this is pure drivel and a waste of time.

TOEIC listening, talks: Weather report and forecast on radio
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom? #7 (permalink) Sat May 22, 2010 12:25 pm   What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom?

What痴 I知 driveling about is if you have your own business you can always have some feelings even high feelings as you are now, but you don稚 have yet any hope .
A hope is never a plan.
Nabilchamlal
I'm here quite often ;-)

What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom? #8 (permalink) Sat May 22, 2010 12:27 pm   What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom?

Would you care to rephrase your statement so that it makes sense in English? You seem to be using your own made-up language.
Language Coach

What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom? #9 (permalink) Sat May 22, 2010 12:29 pm   What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom?

Maybe Nabil is talking to us through Google Translate. He types his message in Arabic and has Google translate it into English for us.

TOEIC listening, talks: Supervisor is giving instructions about payroll procedures and company policy to new employees
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom? #10 (permalink) Sat May 22, 2010 12:36 pm   What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom?

Yes I知 trying to know to what extent we can accept some new forms and how the mind can easily be frozen.
I知 for any dynamic language.
Nabilchamlal
I'm here quite often ;-)

What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom? #11 (permalink) Sat May 22, 2010 12:42 pm   What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom?

Nabilchamlal wrote:
Yes

You are using a translation website?

Quote:
I知 trying to know to what extent we can accept some new forms and how the mind can easily be frozen.
I知 for any dynamic language.

All languages are dynamic if they are in regular use. However making up languages by using words found in English isn't dynamic - it's unfathomable.
Language Coach

What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom? #12 (permalink) Sat May 22, 2010 12:49 pm   What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom?

Quote:
I m SURE THAT YOU DON探 KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT GOOGLE TRANSLATOR.

I know that such devices have serious limitations because they have no 'feel' for the language. If you are using one then it explains a lot.

Quote:
You said that maybe I知 talking through Google Translator, I type my messages in Arabic and Google translates them into English for you.

Torsten asked if you were. We appear to have had the answer 'yes'. Is that correct?

Quote:
This is high feelings from you, but not my plan .

Would you care to rephrase your statement into English so that it can be shared with all, instead of using your made up language, which is so unique it is understood only by you?
Nabilchamlal
I'm here quite often ;-)

What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom? #13 (permalink) Sat May 22, 2010 13:21 pm   What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom?

I think Nabil might actually be better off using Google Translate because the software doesn't try to twist the language intentionally. Nabil, on the other hand does. He speaks in riddles on purpose using English words incorrectly and making up phrases even he himself might not understand.

TOEIC listening, talks: Radio commercial for energy efficient windows
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom? #14 (permalink) Sat May 22, 2010 13:40 pm   What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom?

The strong hand of executive authority in this website interfered in my sentences and interfered with my high hopes.
Torsen
Your Google translator assumption is entirely gratuitous.
Nabilchamlal
I'm here quite often ;-)

What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom? #15 (permalink) Sat May 22, 2010 14:13 pm   What does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom?

Would you care to translate your made-up statement into English, so that the majority of forum users can understand it, instead of just yourself?
Language Coach

Difference between vision and view | Eying that waitress
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What does 'in character' mean?What does 'calamity' mean?Usage of persuadesIt should be "I like my daily routine and exercise makes me happy".What is the meaning of eloped?In my neck of the woods, the expression is 'to be on top of the world'divorced vs deceased'a few apples' vs 'a lots of apples'What does applause mean?Count nouns -- is or are?Parents mean old parents?Meaning of characterWhat does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom?, page 2